Possibly Selling My Machines (shop), and Could Use Some Advice

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some folks here know me, most don't, but I am considering selling my machines and really don't know what to ask for them.

Ideally, I'd like someone to come down here to AZ and just take everything. The machines, all the machine tooling, most of the metrology stuff, and even a few hundred pounds of various metals.

The machines are a bit over 5 years old now, and have not been abused. I used them for pistolsmithing mostly, and that isn't hard on machines. They could use a good going through/cleaning though. :)

The PM935TS has the PM VFD on it, a FogBuster, and a DroPros (EL700 graphic) 3-axis graphic dro with mag scales and a digital touch probe. It sits on a stand that has wheels and leveling pads. It has a PM power feed on the X and Z axis. It has a rare Kurt 5" vise on it with 6" jaws.

The PM1340GT is a 3-phase lathe with the PM VFD on it and Marks wiz-bang control circuitry, including the threading stop option. It has two-stage braking on it as well. It has a DroPros EL400 dro on it with magnetic scales. There is also a RPM display on it that I built from a kit. The lathe also has a Fogbuster on it. The main chuck is a Pratt Burnerd 8.25" setrite 3-jaw chuck. Love this chuck. Also has the upgraded PM 4-jaw chuck, and a PM set-tru 5C collet chuck with the large collet set (brand new). The lathe also has a Dorian BXA QC tool post, and various Aloris and import tool holders.

There's also a massive radius turning tool (cast iron) for the lathe that isn't even made any more. It's probably more rigid than the lathe. I only used it a few times.

There's a Kennedy 3-piece tool box that is full of stuff. Some Starrett, some import. There's a 6" rotary table, and a nearly new PM BS-1 also. I'm not going to try listing everything here.

Seeing as I'd like everything to go in one deal, I realize I need to find someone looking to start a small hobby shop in their garage. And...they would need to come get this stuff. I can help getting the stuff loaded, but I can't do it by myself.

So, given that, I'm willing to give someone a good deal. But I'm not interested in just giving these away. These are good quality machines.

So what should I price this at? Looking for suggestions, thanks.

EDIT: Cleaned this up and added a few items.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Bill. I hope everything is ok & there is no bad news causing this. Hope the best for you in your next chapter.

I will be interested in hearing some answers on this topic too. At 74, I am beginning to wonder how I (more likely, my Wife) will dispose of 50 years' worth of Machines, Tooling and Materials?

I will be interested in hearing some answers on this topic too. At 74, I am beginning to wonder how I (more likely, my Wife) will dispose of 50 years' worth of Machines, Tooling and Materials?
I don't want to burden my wife with that.

If it comes down to parting out the shop sell the small things and accessories to the machines first. Bare machines last. That keeps you from throwing in valuable stuff for free with the big tools. This can be good advise for the surviving partner too.

But it would be nice for one person to come and buy the entire shop at one time. You have high quality equipment so maybe not a beginner but someone wanting to step up in tools and sell what they have…

I am in the same boat. Mostly shop tools, guns and gunsmithing stuff. It is quite a dilemma. But I can't imagine my life without my shop. I have slowly sold off what will not be missed, at bargain prices. I'm terrible at selling things and will give stuff away just to get rid of it. Right now I am looking at auction services for my executors to call in when the time has come.

Hard subject to discuss for sure.
I agree, the best way to sell is as a complete shop. That usually doesn’t work out as we hope.
online auctions seem to bring high prices
if I haven’t purged the shop before something happens to me ,I have asked my wife to find an auctioneer. I also suggested she contact a rigger to be on site the day of the auction to give quotes. This aasures the highest price as everyone can know what it will cost to move the machines before they bid.
I am hoping the auctioneer would take care of everything. Be less money for my better half but she wouldn’t have to worry about moving anything .
cheers
martin

I would think that selling the shop as a whole would be a harder sell than selling machines individually. I suspect that there is a limited audience that is looking for a complete shop, along with the buyer having the burden of coming up with potentially significant financial outlay.

I am in the camp of if you can still use the machines and enjoy them, keep them. If you are no longer able to use them at all, then disposing of them now would be the best option. An auction company would probably be the best way to go. All the ones that I have dealt with have riggers that give prices before the auction even starts.
I do not plan on getting rid of anything that I can use, no matter my age. When I go, it will be her, or my kids issue to deal with. Maybe that sounds cold but I am going to enjoy my "stuff" until they roll me into the grave. I almost lost my life last year at age 54, so I am here to live.

Back