Possibly Selling My Machines (shop), and Could Use Some Advice

Not knowing everything listed and the original cost of the PMs , I would think 12K would be a good starting point . Not sure if your area is a hotbed or machine dessert when it comes to available equipment . This makes a big difference in the asking price as you know . Good quality tools will always have a bottom line value while the cheap throwaway tools and fixtures are usually not worth much . Aloris , Dorian , Jacobs , Rohm , Albreght , Starrett , B&S with all USA made will always be worth more than imported in most mechanic's eyes . For someone just starting out with the basics , maybe the import stuff will get them by to get them started . For someone serious about getting into the trade , possibly for employment and making money , most likely they would shy away from imports. They just don't hold value . We go by the " buy once , cry once " motto . Anyone going to hold onto their tools and machines for 30 years will spread that difference in price for that long , not making much of a difference over the time frame . I do wish you good luck as we all are getting older and have to think about our futures . It's not fun having to part with what took half a lifetime to acquire , but I'm quickly learning to get by with less . :)

If the $12k number is correct for everything, I think you'd have a VERY quick sale if you simply broke it into 2 lots: Mill in one and Lathe in the other @ $6k each.

Put the BS1 with the mill, and the turning radius tool with the lathe, everything else split up in basically 1/2, with first come getting first pick.

I realize there is a LOT more stuff, and much of it could go with either machine, and that it's likely to be a pain to break it all up, but this would get it done FAST.

I am simply saying that this is a pretty simple deal if it's broken into roughly 1/2 and 1/2... LOTS of guys on here could pretty easily come up with $12k, but imho most of them already have a fair chunk of machinery... whereas the $6k number opens you up to a MUCH larger potential purchaser base-

I'm sure there are others like myself that want to get into the hobby and don't have much or very little in the lines of machining tools. If it were two years from now I would have been all over this. I'm just not ready yet.

I'm sure there are others like myself that want to get into the hobby and don't have much or very little in the lines of machining tools. If it were two years from now I would have been all over this. I'm just not ready yet.
And you're the kind of person I was thinking about when I posted the original post. Maybe someone near/at retirement, looking for a medium sized machine package for hobby machining and/or gunsmithing. I'm not in a hurry, but two years might stretch it a bit. ;)

Hi Bill (and everyone else!!),

I have been lurking for a few years on The Hobby Machinist - learning and dreaming - and recently registered in order to reply to your thread.

I know that you have received some interest – and I am interested as well. My wife and I recently moved from Alaska to Arizona (Phoenix area). If you decide to sell your machines, and if others that have expressed an interest are unable to become the caretakers, I would appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation with you.

Lucky Lemon

Hi Bill (and everyone else!!),

I have been lurking for a few years on The Hobby Machinist - learning and dreaming - and recently registered in order to reply to your thread.

I know that you have received some interest – and I am interested as well. My wife and I recently moved from Alaska to Arizona (Phoenix area). If you decide to sell your machines, and if others that have expressed an interest are unable to become the caretakers, I would appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation with you.

Lucky Lemon
Send me a private message Sir.

And welcome to AZ! A rather big change from Alaska! :)

Back