Poor Mans Machine Vise With Improvements!

bearbon

Registered
Registered
I bought a used 6" mill vise with rotary base recently off Craigslist. There are no identifying marks anywhere on it. It's old enough to have been probably made in Taiwan but all the dimensions and hardware are American SAE. Very well made and the saddle fits perfectly with a close tolerance. The jaws are perfectly parallel and the movable jaw operates smoothly. There was no handle, but an 8-point 11/16 socket and a flex handle do the job well.

Anyway, I was happy with my $50 find until reading all the blogs about mill vises and how they ain't worth dog doo unless it's a Kurt Angle-Lock $700 name dropper. After giving it some thought I came to the conclusion that the only thing the expensive one has is the function of forcing the movable jaw down to eliminate lifting if the work piece isn't perfectly square. I figured I could do the same thing with gib locks that could be loosened to move the jaw easily and snugged down once the work piece is in place before the jaws are finally tightened with the main lead screw.

Before this mod the gibs were snug enough to prevent lifting but were shimmed to slide without much drag. Now there is even less drag until the gib dogs are socked down. The gib nuts are 1-1/8 cold rolled, 3/8 thick tapped 5/16-18 to fit the set screw studs which replaced the original Allen cap screws. The dog handles are 1/4 bolts with heads removed and tapped 1/4-20 on both ends. Shim washers under the nuts prevent damage to the gibs. Nice little 13/16" phenolic knobs from McMaster finish it off. It works great!

Oh, and the last vise is another recent find. It's just too cool. I've heard them referred to as a "farmers vise". The best feature is the wide space under the jaws to hold things like a shaft with gear on the end - or something.

P1010799.JPG P1010800.JPG P1010801.JPG P1010802.JPG

nice looking vices, I have a chinese kurt style, am very happy with it. I have an old post vice, but like the old vice you have. I also have what might be a 6in. machine vice that both jaw move at the same time and will always be centered under the quill and heavy maybe 60-80 lbs.

I'm sure that will work great. Perhaps even better than the angle lock arrangment? I have a 6" Kurt, far from new - it came to me with a mill I picked up. I've dissassembled, cleaned & lubricated the vise. It is a good vise, but it isn't perfect either, the sliding jaw will still lift.

Machining was done for many, many, many years before Kurts came about. I've used a Chinese 8" copy on my boss's mill, it didn't impress me. I have a very old vise on my mill, but it has no name or branding marks. The ways were actually hand scraped, and I think it's actually a shaper vise. It's worn out and the jaw lifts quite a bit, so when clamping a part cradle it in paper and give it a whack with a mallet. A mallet runs about $680 less than a new Kurt vise LOL

My Bridgeport 6" vise has box ways like the one you modified. I fit the box ways and the gibs, as well as the sliding jaw to the table and now it slides freely but has .0005" lift of the work if you really gronk on it. Measure your Kurts doing the same thing and report back. The two I tested indicated .001 to .002". The other nice thing is that the bed is flat all the way across, no slot to drop stuff down into.

Very slick!
Maybe get a sharpie and carefully paint "Kurt 2.0" on the side.
:)

Wrat

Thanks for the nice feedback guys. I originally had the feeling this vise was too large and heavy for my Hardinge UM horizontal mill. It takes up most of the table and it weighs 44 lbs not counting the swivel base, which is another 11 lbs. Without the swivel it still leaves plenty of Z axis room for anything I would be making. It might feel heavy when lifting it with my aching 72 year old arms but I think the Hardinge probably won't notice so I think it will do the job. It was a fun project but like a couple of you said, a mallet will work also. - Bear

Ed ke6bnl I also have what might be a 6in. machine vice that both jaw move at the same time and will always be centered under the quill and heavy maybe 60-80 lbs.

I'd like to see a picture of that self-centering vise. I think I saw one somewhere else but can't remember where. Sounds neat.

Best of all, another four handles to crank on :)

DAVE H. (the other one)

Back