Poor Mans Machine Vise With Improvements!

Nice job on the modifications, and I've never seen a vice like the second one. The anvil end is pretty cool. I too would be interested in seeing the self centering vice. Mike

Your are a machinist ,making the best with what you have. One of the shops I worked at had an ancient overhead flat belt drive, if ya didn't jog the motor to start it the belt would jump off , with all the OSHA caging it took half hr to reinstall. The old gears would clank and rattle everything on it worked but we had indicators on every moving part to make accurate cuts and it really did work well. The moral I guess is making do with what you have. All those different shops I worked at doing my apprentice years taught me to make the best out of what you have to work with. Ok nuff said I'd like to have a vice like the old one too, I've seen some near like it called blacksmith vise.

I bought a used 6" mill vise with rotary base recently off Craigslist. There are no identifying marks anywhere on it. It's old enough to have been probably made in Taiwan but all the dimensions and hardware are American SAE. Very well made and the saddle fits perfectly with a close tolerance. The jaws are perfectly parallel and the movable jaw operates smoothly. There was no handle, but an 8-point 11/16 socket and a flex handle do the job well.

Anyway, I was happy with my $50 find until reading all the blogs about mill vises and how they ain't worth dog doo unless it's a Kurt Angle-Lock $700 name dropper. After giving it some thought I came to the conclusion that the only thing the expensive one has is the function of forcing the movable jaw down to eliminate lifting if the work piece isn't perfectly square. I figured I could do the same thing with gib locks that could be loosened to move the jaw easily and snugged down once the work piece is in place before the jaws are finally tightened with the main lead screw.

Before this mod the gibs were snug enough to prevent lifting but were shimmed to slide without much drag. Now there is even less drag until the gib dogs are socked down. The gib nuts are 1-1/8 cold rolled, 3/8 thick tapped 5/16-18 to fit the set screw studs which replaced the original Allen cap screws. The dog handles are 1/4 bolts with heads removed and tapped 1/4-20 on both ends. Shim washers under the nuts prevent damage to the gibs. Nice little 13/16" phenolic knobs from McMaster finish it off. It works great!

Oh, and the last vise is another recent find. It's just too cool. I've heard them referred to as a "farmers vise". The best feature is the wide space under the jaws to hold things like a shaft with gear on the end - or something.

View attachment 124373 View attachment 124374 View attachment 124375 View attachment 124376
People did good machine work in mill vises long before the Kurt vise was invented; all it takes is a lead hammer to seat the work in the vise, and hold downs are a blessing as well.

Back