Pm949v Or Pm949vf

to continue the hijack...
IIRC, Matt has a 9x49 and 10x50 Taiwanese mill made in the same factory as the Sharp (which is where the 9x35T is built). I don't know if it has all the features of the LMV (like chromed ways), since most factories will build to a price-point, but Matt has always been very straight-forward and honest, and you could ask him about that option, and how the machines compare to the LMV.

I notice that the 935T has only three nod bolts on the right side (which is similar to Jet), where the LMV mills have three on the left and three on the right. More bolts to operate during tramming, but IMHO is easier to tram due to less influence n head tilt when tightening those bolts.

But I really like the Sharp LMV-50...

It's all just mental twiddling at this point. I told Matt we'd have to wait and see what the year-end bonus looks like. :D
Your bonus is better than mine. If I get a good bonus, I will splurge on an indexable facemill or something like that.... as long as it is on sale.

Last edited:
You working guys and your annual bonuses....another reason not to retire. However, mine were put in a savings plan, and are doubling my SS. No complaints.

South jersey , really I'm in the pits of hell too. The over taxed over insured and over governed. Hey I'm in Marlton how close are you. I've been here my entire life , will die here now .

I'm in Cape May and have lived in NJ all my life and I'm determined not to die here. I've been planning my escape for many years.

I'd recommend calling Matt, and seeing what machines he currently has. I've been told he carries a lot more machines than what he lists on his website, so perhaps he has some nice Taiwanese made full size knee mills he is selling under his brand.

I would certainly give Matt a call before going to see what he has.

I currently have an old 2J Bridgeport that while I can make good parts with it, it's best days are behind it. I have no problem moving heavy machines. I plan on taking both my lathes with me. The small one weighs 3,000#s and the big one weighs 8,500#s, I've moved them both before and won't have any problems moving them again. I'm just trying to lighten the load for the move and an old BP knee mill doesn't really need to make the trip, especially if I can get a brand new, never been used before, mill delivered to my new location (still not sure where that might be yet).

I have some time so I'll give Matt a call in the next few weeks and see what he has in stock so I can touch and fell it.

I lived in Ocean City, NJ for a few years and have been all over southern NJ between Atlantic City and Cape May. I would love to live there if only the taxes were not utterly insane.

Hey guys, I do have (5) 9x49 Mills in stock right now, if you want to stop by. These are the PM-949TS, at $5999. Many people go with these, and put a VFD on it for single phase, and variable speed.

Also have (1) PM-949TV in stock, but I think it is going to sell in the morning. I have more coming in though.

Also, I have the Sharp LMV priced at $7499 plus shipping, they are on sale. I do NOT recommend liftgate delivery though. Anyone who says its OK has probably never done it themselves. The 935 mills are OK on a liftgate, but the 949 is really pushing it. Unless the truck has a nice, big, heavy duty, usually 5000 lb capacity, and not bent liftgate. But those are very, very rare on freight trucks. Not saying it is completely impossible, but I know how it turns out, I ship it, the driver shows up, can't unload, the customer is now mad at me, and either wants to send it back or has to scramble around to find another option. And is still mad at me. Or worse yet, they try to unload, and the mill falls off the truck. Either way, the customer would end up mad 9 times out of 10.

I have seen more than a few cases with other vendors, and customers on the forums, where I lost a sale because I was honest up front, the other place was not or didn't know. And most of them turned out bad.

Even then, Sharp doesnt package them properly for that kind of freight. They need to be tied down. I like the trailer rental idea.
The Sharp is a good mill, but I still recommend the PM over the Sharp.

Pics are included how the Sharps ship, and just stretch wrapped over that. No way is that good for standard truck freight. And Heck no for liftgate like that.

You can see from other posts how we ship our mills when they go by regular truck freight. Full crate and skid thats 3 times wider than the ones below.

Sharp LMV (2).JPG Sharp LMV.JPG

The Sharp is a good mill, but I still recommend the PM over the Sharp.
Could you explain more? I am a big fan of the LMV, having used one a lot, so am curious what makes the PM better.

I am assuming that the 949TS and 949TV are also Taiwanese machines? Do they have chromed ways like the LMV? What is the 949TV price?

The $7499 LMV, is that the LMV-42 or LMV-49?

thanks,
tim

The 949TS and 949TV are from Taiwan, yes. I do not have them with chromed ways. I had a mill one time that I owned, and the chrome chipped. I dropped the corner of a vise on the ways, and put a big dent in them, then the chip got bigger and bigger. So I was never a fan of the chromed ways after that.

But yes the 949TS and TV are from Taiwan, same factory as the one who makes the 935TS and TV we have.

Its the Sharp LMV-42 at that price. The LMV50 is $300 more.

Notice the color on the Sharp. Silver now instead of grey. Still a good machine, but probably not the same mill you ran.

Oh God my eyes, Matt does the Sharp come with a disco ball and a Bee Gees greatest hits CD? Just kidding :D

Haha sure does! The new silver ones of the last few years are supposedly now from a different factory than the grey mills were, lower price so they changed. Sharp does a lot of manual business, but they are mainly in to CNC, where the big money is.

Back