Pm949v Or Pm949vf

rmack898

Active User
Registered
Does anyone here have this mill?

I am getting very close to making my exodus out of NJ and will be moving my entire shop. I was looking around today and thinking about what I don't absolutely have to move and my BP mill was at the top of the list. I can sell it here and get a fair price for it and replace it with a PM mill when I get to my new location.

I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of this machine and can comment on it. I'm in the planning stages of a major move and need to cover all the bases.

South jersey , really I'm in the pits of hell too. The over taxed over insured and over governed. Hey I'm in Marlton how close are you. I've been here my entire life , will die here now . We have a new granbaby , never get gran mom out now. When I wanted twenty years ago she didn't , after I got messed up she's ready . Oh well good luck on your move and I hope you never have to come back even for a visit. Good bless

I'd like to hear about the PM full size mills as well. I do know they require flatbed delivery and forklift for removal, so factor that into the equation.

I'd recommend calling Matt, and seeing what machines he currently has. I've been told he carries a lot more machines than what he lists on his website, so perhaps he has some nice Taiwanese made full size knee mills he is selling under his brand. You might also want to get some pricing on the Sharp, and GMC mills.

Personally, I'd say go for the 10x54, or maybe a horizontal/vertical machine, if you are going to go to the hassle of getting a new machine. :D

I asked Matt if a Sharp LMV could be delivered via liftgate and he said no. But I talked to the Sharp people in CA (they are listing a LMV on Ebay) and they said they could/have delivered a 9x42 via liftgate. Things that make you go Hmmm...

For me, a 9x49 or 10x50 would just be too big but I can appreciate/be jealous of those who can handle one. :)

I asked Matt if a Sharp LMV could be delivered via liftgate and he said no. But I talked to the Sharp people in CA (they are listing a LMV on Ebay) and they said they could/have delivered a 9x42 via liftgate. Things that make you go Hmmm...

I've never seen a lift gate rated for more than 3000lbs. The LMV is listed at 2400 lbs, add to that the weight of the crate, random accessories in the crate, the pallet jack, and driver, and you have to be getting close to the 3000lb limit. I'd assume Matt wants a decent safety margin, so he doesn't have to deal with an irate customer who just had a mill drooped face first on his driveway! :mad::D

IMHO, safer all around to spend $85-100 to rent a drop-deck trailer from sunbelt rental and pick the beast up from the shipping terminal. No worries about it toppling over in the last mile (where most shipping damage occurs), toppling off a shaky lift gate, dealing with the vagaries of the delivery truck schedule.

The terminal will plant it in your trailer with a forklift, and you can use a pallet jack to unload the trailer in your driveway.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equi...2ft-lift-bed-tandem-axle-trailer/#EquipTabs-1

I asked Matt if a Sharp LMV could be delivered via liftgate and he said no. .
That is a beautiful mill, I have done a lot of work on one and loved it! How much did Matt quote you for the mill and delivery, what delivery time frame? I see he advertises them on his site.

Haven't asked for a full quote yet, as I'm still working up to this idea.

The factory is advertising one on Ebay for approx. $7800, but I'd probably go through Matt just to give him my business as he's been good to me. He'd just likely have it drop shipped from the factory, but at least he'd get a piece of it.

I am just afraid that the 9x35 might be a bit small, as I've already gotten accustomed to basically a 10x40 table. I'm not doing this again, so I'm considering ponying up for a LMV 9x42 which is big and rigid enough for any gunsmithing work and hobby stuff I might do, and then some. And I've heard from some people that have used them in a production environment that they are fabulous machines to work with and have a reputation for being good quality machines. But then I may just wuss out because of the weight and go with the 9x35.

It's all just mental twiddling at this point. I told Matt we'd have to wait and see what the year-end bonus looks like. :D

Edit: Sorry for the hi-jack OP. Basically, if it were me I'd just spend a bit of time on the phone with Matt and voice your concerns and listen to his answers. As far as I know, he's been stand-up with all of the folks here who've done business with him. He's not tried to feed me any funny stuff, and I've bought two machines from him sight unseen.

Last edited:
Back