PM935TV

I looked at the 949 first. It's 1000 lbs heavier. I'd never be able to move it around if I needed to do that.

I don't expect to be fluting barrels but, if I could, I probably would try it.

Looking at the 833 the table and quill travel is very close to the 935. The 833 is overall taller at 88" while the 935 is 81". 833 is about 500 lbs. lighter without the stand. It looks like you can't get a Y axis power feed on the 833 which I would find useful.

Other than not having a Y power feed the 833 covers all my bases. I would believe it would be a massive step up over the mill I have now. But, I have the space to go larger and the cost savings isn't dramatic enough for a one-time purchase. I know I can move the 833 with the forks on my tractor bucket. Those may be at their limit with the 935.

I do cut aluminum but cut a lot of stainless as well. I see in their comparison that the geared head has more power in lower ranges. I don't mind going slower in aluminum so maybe the geared head is the better choice. Anyone installed a VFD on the geared model?

I had a VFD on my RF-45. Bolted it to the side of the head as replacement for the forward/ stop/reverse switch and used the VFD front panel for on/off & speed control. Worked great. Added an E-stop switch at knee level. You’d have to ask Matt at PM if he could supply a 3-phase motor on the 833 if you want to use a VFD.

I'm all over the place now. I think you guys made this more difficult rather than easier. LOL

I may just opt for the 220 single-phase 935TV. Plug and play but way spendy. I'm sure someone will come along and here and give me fantastic reasons why I should choose a different one, though.

Good luck fixing the Reeves drive on that when the time comes.

I had a VFD on my RF-45. Bolted it to the side of the head as replacement for the forward/ stop/reverse switch and used the VFD front panel for on/off & speed control. Worked great. Added an E-stop switch at knee level. You’d have to ask Matt at PM if he could supply a 3-phase motor on the 833 if you want to use a VFD.
I bought an 833 from Matt with a single phase motor but later bought a 3-phase motor from PM and a VFD.
I love having a VFD and hardly ever have to change belt positions. Matt did tell me the 833 would be available sometime with a 3-phase motor but as prices were going to rise I blew $500 on the new motor and never regretted it.

Good luck fixing the Reeves drive on that when the time comes.

I've read this a few times now. I watched zmotorsports video review of the TV and the plug and play aspect is very appealing to me.

What is someone in for if (when?) that drive fails?

I watched the first 16 minutes. That guy makes me laugh. He reminds me of a comedian I hear on Sirius. Thanks for the link. That does look like an interesting set of issues to fix.

Are they more prone to failure or is it just a total PITA to fix when they do fail?

Last edited:
Put that video on 2X speed when you watch it.

The Reeves drive system is described in the PM-935 manual which you can download from the PM site by clicking here.
Here is the essence of how it works, and you'll notice there is a rather wide belt trapped between to angled drive pulleys ("cone discs") compressed by high tension springs, and thus the belt is a wear item:

screenshot_3065.jpg

You might also want to more fully acquaint yourself with the J-head. If you read the document I put together for you, you will know that I am NOT a fan of this type of head due to it's complexity and the crudeness of the design. That is why I suggested you consider a geared drive system or a BLDC motor driven belt drive, either of which are available on the PM-833.

The J-head is a pain to work on, and I have done plenty of work on mine. I recommend you review the photos and videos about my 935 here:

J-head issues

Power down feed mechanics

I think this is a case where Occam's razor applies: when faced with two alternatives of apparent equal function, pick the simpler of the two. If you must have the flexibility afforded by a knee mill with the head on a ram that will nod as well as tilt, then you will be looking at a J-head. But if you don't absolutely need the nod function or extra reach of the ram on the knee mill, I think you'd find the geared head or BLDC belt drive head on the 833 will be less frustrating and troublesome. End of rant.

I did read those docs again. I didn’t realize you wrote that.

For just the reasons you state I was thinking the 833 is the right one. On the 935, the depth the knee affords is a draw as well as the power Y and pneumatic draw bar.

Last edited:
Back