Pm935tv Received!

I used rags and Toluene. Acetone works almost as well, just few little more effort.

Toluene and acetone are both pretty nasty. Kerosene will do it.

Just a word of caution on removing the cosmolene, some paints are more durable than others. On my PM1340GT even plain old alcohol removed the paint. acetone, toluene or lacquer thinner would probably have been even worse. On my mill, I used paint thinner, so I you may want to test an area of the paint that will not be seen and be careful next to the paint interface.

The PM935 is a sweet mill and much easier to move than a full size machine. Nice that you got the mill with the DRO and drives installed.

For cleaning I just soaked a rag in WD-40, and/or used the spray bottle for the crevices. Couple minutes to let it loosen the coating, & wipe it off. Got that tip from somebody here regarding the 1340-GT. No worries about using flammables like acetone in an enclosed area that way ;)
It's a fun machine, sure you'll enjoy it.
Mark

GoofOff adhesive remover is 50/50 Toluene and Xylene . Toluene is very fast, should be used quickly and precisely , yes be careful around paint, plastics and rubber, it can swell rubber and plastic if u pour it directly on them and not a rag...use gloves + ventilation obviously...I routinely use either Toluene, Acetone, alcohol and kerosene for weld prep and parts cleaning. All very useful.

Last edited:
. . . . . . . .
What are you using to clean off cosmolene?
Mineral spirits -

Paint it on with a paint brush or parts brush, scrub it around a bit, scrape it off with a plastic scraper or wood scraper, and then wipe it off with shop towels. Mineral spirits works really well, has low volatility and is a great solvent for the paraffin in the cosmoline. Of course it will take a couple of runs at it to get it off completely. I tried WD40 and it is good for the final cleanup but doesnt cut the cosmoline as effectively as mineral spirits.

Mineral spirits -

Paint it on with a paint brush or parts brush, scrub it around a bit, scrape it off with a plastic scraper or wood scraper, and then wipe it off with shop towels. Mineral spirits works really well, has low volatility and is a great solvent for the paraffin in the cosmoline. Of course it will take a couple of runs at it to get it off completely. I tried WD40 and it is good for the final cleanup but doesnt cut the cosmoline as effectively as mineral spirits.
Great tip, Thanks

What are you using to clean off cosmolene?

Paper towels and orange citrate cleaner. Smells good and doesn't dissolve the paint. No need to get fancy with a stronger chemical. My PM935TV didn't have the thick almost rubbery coating of cosmoline that I have dealt with on other asian machinery.

Then coat all the bare metal with way oil immediately after cleaning to keep the rust away.

Congratulations, that's a beautiful machine! I hope to upgrade to one some day soon.

Back