Pm757 Cnc Spindle Start

thebeerbaron83

Registered
Registered
Can anyone help me figure out how to wire a mach3 controlled spindle relay. I have two outputs on my gecko g540 for spindle start and stop. Just not sure how to wire it into the electrical system of the pm757. Here is the wiring diagram from the manual.

IMG_0657.PNG

Before I converted to the VFD I did something similar.

The KM1 & KM2 coils are 110vac according to the manual. The G540 output relays can output up to 50vdc.

You will need to add relays between the load and the contactor coils terminal A1 on KM1 & KM2. I would get a 12vdc or 24vdc power supply and a couple of solid state relays. If you want to keep the original FWD/REV switches you can use a DPDT switch to select either manual start of Mach3 start.

Solid state relays https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-SSR-25-Solid-State-Monitor/dp/B004HZN628

Before I converted to the VFD I did something similar.

The KM1 & KM2 coils are 110vac according to the manual. The G540 output relays can output up to 50vdc.

You will need to add relays between the load and the contactor coils terminal A1 on KM1 & KM2. I would get a 12vdc or 24vdc power supply and a couple of solid state relays. If you want to keep the original FWD/REV switches you can use a DPDT switch to select either manual start of Mach3 start.

Solid state relays https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-SSR-25-Solid-State-Monitor/dp/B004HZN628
I'm sorry, but most of this is above my electrical understanding. What two wires would I connect the 110vac side of the SSR to? Did you do a write up on your setup?

I did not do a write up on this. I will do my best to walk you through this.

The easiest way to do this is to leave the factory switching as it is and add a double pole double throw switch. With the switch in one position it would operate as is manually. With the switch in the other position it will bi-pass the manual control and allow for control by Mach3.

There are two contractors (also known as motor starters) labeled KM1 & KM2. These are basically switches and they are activated by a built in coil. When the coil is energized it closes all the NO (normally open) contacts and opens the NC (normally closed) contact.

On your machine KM1 turns on the motor in reverse (CCW) and KM2 turns on the motor in forward (CW). The way the coils are wired across the contactors prevents both contactors from being energized at the same time. Matt did a good write up on this in the manual.

The only wire we will be touching on the contactor is at terminal A1. This is the load side of the coil or 110vac in. A2 goes to neutral which we won't touch.

Here is a picture of the contactor showing the A1 terminal. You will probably have to loosen and back out the wires in terminal L1 directly above it to access the A1 terminal screw.

12(136467).png
A1-wiring.png

Here is a simple wiring schematic. Unfortunately this forum shrinks everything so if you can't read it PM me your email address and I will send it directly.

Relay Wiring.png

PM-727 Wiring.png

Here is a typical DPDT switch.

DPDT11.jpg
DPDT-on-on.png

Also look at the simple wiring diagram in the G540 manual for wiring the DC power supply. The SSR relays work best with 12vdc or 24vdc.

It looks like the electrical box may be too small to fit the SSR's and a power supply so you might need a second box or a larger enclosure.

Look it over and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
Jbolt, this helps a lot! I sent you my email for the diagrams. Thank you for doing this!

It is also a good idea to get everything wired up except the last connection from the SSR's to the contactor A1 terminals and make sure the DPDT switch is wired correctly and the SSR's are out putting proper voltage when given a FWD or REV run command from Mach3. When testing sometimes the SSR's need a load to operate in which case I will wire it to an outlet and plug in a lamp.

Ok, so I have been looking this over and I think I mostly understand it. Two things I do not quite get. If the SSR is connecting the load through the A1 wires, won't I need to press the momentary FRW or REV button to get the power from that momentary switch? Also, if this is a latching type system with a momentary switch, will the spindle stop when the SSR is deactivated? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just like to fully understand what I am doing before I do it. Thanks!

Ok, so I have been looking this over and I think I mostly understand it. Two things I do not quite get. If the SSR is connecting the load through the A1 wires, won't I need to press the momentary FRW or REV button to get the power from that momentary switch? Also, if this is a latching type system with a momentary switch, will the spindle stop when the SSR is deactivated? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just like to fully understand what I am doing before I do it. Thanks!

Good catch. My mill had a third contractor that powered everything and the FWD/REV was a rotary switch. I missed to load path though the two contractor setup. Let me look this through some more.

Question for you. Is it important or necessary to have manual control of the spindle?

Back