PM1440GT Motor Swap...

Time for Abom79's saturday night videos and some dinner.
Ended up adding some speed holes to one of the plates for the 17mm bolts that mount it to the headstock.

22-07-16 17-03-52 8255.jpg

Motor is in and running. VERY quiet.

I changed to base voltage to 230v for this motor. 60hz base freq, 90hz max. 4 poles.

Couple of small issues.
1. Auto tune (with motor rotation) throws E02.2 error
2. When running in sensorless vector I get the same weird cog/hiccup in the motor rotation as the other motors were having. It's just one hiccup and then it gets going and runs (what I presume) to be fine.
3. When running on constatnt torque, it's just as smooth/quiet as sensorless vector - I get an almost unnoticeable hiccup at the same time when the motor is ramping up.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the autotune error. I have a 50ohm braking resistor that the VFD picks up as 35.

@mksj - what say you?

same weird cog/hiccup in the motor rotation
Just a thought.....
Are you sure this is not partly due to the gear box being connected? My 1440GT gear box can do some strange things during start up as it seems to sometimes slip in and out of one gear to another and then back. However, I would not have referred to this as a hiccup. The center gear position does not always seem to be secure and appears to depend upon the direction the lever was moved from! You might want to try these start up sequences without the belts being on the motor pulley to see if the cog/hiccup happens when there is no load or at lease a only a small load. If not then try the start up with the belt attached, but with the gear box levers in various positions.

Dave

Just a thought.....
Are you sure this is not partly due to the gear box being connected? My 1440GT gear box can do some strange things during start up as it seems to sometimes slip in and out of one gear to another and then back. However, I would not have referred to this as a hiccup. The center gear position does not always seem to be secure and appears to depend upon the direction the lever was moved from! You might want to try these start up sequences without the belts being on the motor pulley to see if the cog/hiccup happens when there is no load or at lease a only a small load. If not then try the start up with the belt attached, but with the gear box levers in various positions.

Dave

Good thought, but definitely not that. It's obvious even with the jog button and no belt attached. It will get maybe 1-2 full turns and then hesitate a bit, or reverse momentarily.
When I spoke to Drives Warehouse about my VFD RMA (see previous thread in first post) the tech support guy said they have better luck just using the hitachi default settings instead of auto-tune.
So right now I'm on the "Hitachi Default" tune settings, constant torque, and the motor runs perfectly.
I'll give them a shout on Monday and see if they spot anything obvious with my config as well.

Are you running it off of the replacement VFD or the original one? I have had the opposite experience that the motors run better after the Auto-tune, they will often cog a bit without it. As I mentioned previously I have seen a similar issue where the front panel was removed and the ball and spring in the handle was missing, this caused the gearbox to rattle/cog. You should not get a motor error with Auto-Tune, you might also try a different motor cable and make sure the motor belt is off. Nothing wrong with running in constant torque, but you loose the motor feedback which improves low end performance. Unlikely to be an issue with the new motor.

Resistor setting is the default not the value of the resistor attached.

Are you running it off of the replacement VFD or the original one? I have had the opposite experience that the motors run better after the Auto-tune, they will often cog a bit without it. As I mentioned previously I have seen a similar issue where the front panel was removed and the ball and spring in the handle was missing, this caused the gearbox to rattle/cog. You should not get a motor error with Auto-Tune, you might also try a different motor cable and make sure the motor belt is off. Nothing wrong with running in constant torque, but you loose the motor feedback which improves low end performance. Unlikely to be an issue with the new motor.

Resistor setting is the default not the value of the resistor attached.

Brand new VFD. Definitely not gearbox related as I can see/hear it happen with the belt off.
I got a new motor cable coming from mcmaster anyway, the one I have now is a bit short with the new setup.

Current cable has a drain wire - I have that attached to the ground on the VFD - good idea or bad?

Hi Aarron,

I am not for sure it is of any help to you, but I posted my PM1440GT VFD setting earlier. You can see them at the end of the Part 2 pdf report. (PM 1440GT Part 2 VFDDescript links DNL L910_1440b). I am running the PM stock motor with the Hitachi VFD.
VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

Dave.

Drain wire/shield and ground are connected together at both ends, the drain wire should be insulated, I use shrink tubing and then crimp it and the ground to a ring terminal attached to the ground on both ends. An E02.2 error is a fault error on deceleration which should not be happening. Never seen it with just running the motor regardless of the braking resistor. You might send me the parameters you are using and I can look over them and also take a picture of your connections to the VFD.

Kinda hard to see what's going on. Files attached. The motor cable drain is not connected to anything on the motor end.

22-07-17 18-33-05 8263.jpg

Attachments

• PM1440GT_PRE-TUNE_July17.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back