PM1440GT Motor Swap...

Roughed in some hinges from 1018 (Shout out to Metal Supermarkets for being quick and fast. 20 bucks for a bar that was 150 at Alro!)

22-07-15 14-15-19 8230.jpg

I'll be the brave soul who posts his first real welds on the internet. It's a flux core 120v machine... but did the trick.

And the hinge still "hinges" post weld.
I would be happy with those welds!!

Are the bolts just for temporary alignment? You may already have thought about this or perhaps I mentioned it in my post (I don't remember) but on mine I used a hinge pin that has a spring clip on both ends, that way you can pop one off and remove the hinge pin without having to remove the backsplash should you want to pull the motor for any reason.

Had not thought about that, but it's a good idea. I never want to remove the backsplash!
Side note- Metals supermarket can bend sheet metal for almost nothing as long as you have a half decent drawing. I plan on putting an aluminum shelf on top of the backsplash to keep my tool holders, oilers, etc. When I draw it up I'll share it and anyone can order one from them.

Had not thought about that, but it's a good idea. I never want to remove the backsplash!
My backsplash is so loaded it would take a while just get to the point of being able to remove it.

Just as an idea, I copied the tray idea for the top of the headstock and the backsplash from Gavintoobe on YouTube.

IMG_1094.jpg

Last edited:
My backsplash is so loaded it would take a while just get to the point of being able to remove it,

Just as an idea, I copied the tray idea for the top of the headstock and the backsplash from Gavintube on YouTube.

View attachment 413932even if I was wanting to do it!

You have plans for that, or a link? I want that on my 1340!

@Jake P - What size belts did you end up using? I've got AX30 and two of the smallest pulleys I could find for the motor (Dont remember what size they are exactly)

@Jake P - What size belts did you end up using? I've got AX30 and two of the smallest pulleys I could find for the motor (Dont remember what size they are exactly)
Yes, it’s a Gates AX30 I ordered from Biedlers-Belts. I can look up the pulley I used if you need that info.

I think I'm OK with one of the two pulleys I got - they were the two smallest sizes you can get for the shaft on the motor.

Lunch break. I'm at the point where the real work starts. Pull the motor off, drill and tap the mount, trim, etc.
Trimming the frame sure wasn't fun. But I did find some enamel paint that is "machine gray" that looks like it will be a good match. (Primer only in photo)

Did you do anything with the thermostat wires?

22-07-16 13-23-03 8249.jpg
22-07-16 13-23-14 8250.jpg

Back