PM1030 tripping breakers on startup

It seems that it has not even been established that there is an overload in the form of a very short pulse. If I were diagnosing this problem without a logging device, I would just get another circuit breaker put it in line. Actually, I would just use an automotive fuse in a hacked line cord duct taped to a junk 2x4 and watch it like a hawk. If you are drawing 2.8 amps and blowing a 15 amp breaker without seeing anything on the meter, it is a pretty massive overload like 40 amps. If a little fuse doesn't blow, I would take a good hard look at the breaker. I have found that a 15 amp breaker can take 25 amps for several (tens) of seconds before it trips.

Thank you everyone who has responded.

I have done the following:

-Replaced breaker with new GE 20amp. Same results.
-Tested circuit with a 4.5hp shop vac and 1500w heat gun. Using these devices my clamp meter shows WAY higher readings (~10amp) than I ever see from starting or running the 1hp lathe. No trips.
-Swapped another control board that came with the machine. Same results.
-Removed power out to motor connection from control board (3 pole green connector on left). This leaves the big control board caps in the circuit. I still get trips like this.

I do not have a way to log momentary inrush current. I did just purchase a small 1 channel micro scope but do not have a current probe for it as yet.

Here is a photo of the control board. I believe it to be similar to: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001279538818.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.42804074F0RaE0

Attachments

• Photo Jan 02, 1 11 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 02, 1 11 52 PM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • Photo Jan 02, 1 11 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 02, 1 11 55 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
I hate when they flood the board with black epoxy, makes it almost impossible to service.

I know it is the idea, but I still hate it.

I cannot possibly see how the issue with anything besides the board. To rule out the power cord at a friends suggestion I wired to the spare board directly with absolutely nothing else connected as you see here. I turned it on and off with a known good surge protector. It still tripped breakers on two separate known good circuits one is 15 amp the other is 20 amp.

IMG_9084.jpg

Is it possible to see the other side of the board if taken off the heat-sink ?

PM is being helpful and reading this thread, I wanted to do all I could before calling back. Neither of us want to throw parts at the problem.

The board is fully potted including the screws that retain it to the heatsink.

sounds like a ground fault or internal short within the board. How much is a new one?

Back