Pm Questions

I envy you for living in a state that doesn't look like Tantooine/Arrakis/Saudi Arabia all mixed into one.

Trust me the grass isn't greener on the other side. WE get horrendous temperature & humidity shifts that can wreak havoc on cast iron surfaces. My shop dehumidifier runs 24/7/365.

Yea, found a couple of minor 'spots' on the top of my compound recently. Can't wait until I get back to AZ. Nothing rusts down there. :)

Yeah no kidding, certain times here in PA it gets real bad, we have machines cleaned up for pictures and have to spray them with rustproofing within like 10 minutes after were done or it will start. Some of these guys still can't get it through their heads that it can happen that fast. It got to the point where I was going to duct tape a can of rustlick to the photographers arm so he did not forget. And sometimes it seems like we have a desert around here too, I have no idea where all the dust comes from, but it is a lot easier to deal with than moisture!

To answer your question about the accessories though, there is no taper attachment available, and as jbolt said, the spindle is too small for a collet closer tube, it has to be at least about 1-3/8 for that. Its more of an entry level lathe, so does not have those options. But really, I have a taper attachment on my lathe, and I can't remember the last time I used it. (Other than maybe to show someone how to use one)

People have mounted a 5C Collet chuck to the spindle with the 3 jaw chuck back plate, that usually works pretty well. The only time I use a collet is if I have a part thats already machined and don't want to mark it up, but there are other ways around that too.

These are nice smaller machines, the ONLY thing I can come up with that I dont care for on either is the change gear clips on the 1022/1030 lathes, (and 1127 too) Many people use them just fine, but I am working on something better for that. It will be just a retrofit to whats there now, actually I am trying to find Metric Shoulder Bolts with a 10mm shoulder, and a 6mm thread, but no luck yet. I think those are the ticket, I just have to find them. Every place that I check has either a 6mm thread / 8mm shoulder, or 8mm thread and 10mm shoulder. I am here today trying to come up with something on that, but other than that part, I really like these machines.

I am trying to find Metric Shoulder Bolts with a 10mm shoulder, and a 6mm thread, but no luck yet. I think those are the ticket, I just have to find them. Every place that I check has either a 6mm thread / 8mm shoulder, or 8mm thread and 10mm shoulder. I am here today trying to come up with something on that

What I have done in the past when I needed a special thread on a shoulder bolt, it to cut off the original thread, then drill & tap the body for the size I needed the screw in a long set screw or a stud. Shoulder bolts are a bit hard to machine, but it's doable.

These are nice smaller machines, the ONLY thing I can come up with that I dont care for on either is the change gear clips on the 1022/1030 lathes, (and 1127 too) Many people use them just fine, but I am working on something better for that. It will be just a retrofit to whats there now, actually I am trying to find Metric Shoulder Bolts with a 10mm shoulder, and a 6mm thread, but no luck yet. I think those are the ticket, I just have to find them. Every place that I check has either a 6mm thread / 8mm shoulder, or 8mm thread and 10mm shoulder. I am here today trying to come up with something on that, but other than that part, I really like these machines.
The change gear clips are a pain to use. I was thinking about using a shaft collar instead of the clip.

Yea, found a couple of minor 'spots' on the top of my compound recently. Can't wait until I get back to AZ. Nothing rusts down there. :)

By the way, how far from the garage door should I keep the machines y'all think?
The idea I had for dust covers was some canvas tarp hanging down from the ceiling like a shower curtain- as odd as that sounds.

It would be really neat to make the two machines CNC- but where I could still use them manually. I work as a RADAR tech for a living so dealing with encoders, limit switches and what not isn't too far removed from what I am used to. Are there kits out there that are compatible with these machines that won't require me to dig out any organs/send any inlaws to the other side?

Also, is the PM-25 significantly less rigid than the PM-727?

Back