Pm Questions

HEAVYMETAL87

Registered
Registered
How's it going everyone?

I have a few (read a lot) of questions regarding the Precision Matthews PM-727m and the PM-1022v.
The biggest thing that I am concerned about right now is actually setting up the shop itself. I live in the desert- which would be absolute hell on the machines thanks to all the sand. My idea was to put the machines further away from the garage door- actually keep everything as far away from the garage door as I can. Am I on the right track with that?

Does the 1022 accept 5C collets, collet closers, taper attachments and what not? Are there any on the market it can use?

I am sure that there will be more- thank you in advance.

My idea was to put the machines further away from the garage door- actually keep everything as far away from the garage door as I can. Am I on the right track with that?

Yea, and get or make a cover for it!

Well you see here is where the rub comes in:
The back wall is small. Really small. The 727 and the 1022 are not going to fit against a 10' section of it. Not to mention I live with a blonde with a large car.

Fitting a workbench, cabinets, and all the other fun stuff that comes with the territory into this garage is seriously making me scratch my head.
I know that the mill will basically need a 6' wide, 3' deep space to occupy- and the lathe basically the same to have room to work. Having machines free standing always looked strange to me, but seriously I am thrown for a loop on this one.

I have my lathe and mill facing each other with about 3 feet between the handwheels. Works out well.

I have my mill across the back right of the shop, with my machining tool chest in the back right corner, and then my lathe along the back right wall. Its basically an L shape, with just enough space allowed to access everything reasonably well. A lot of people find it hard to believe, but if I role all my woodworking stuff up against the walls, my wife and I can get both our cars in the garage (her Kia Sportage & my Nissan Murano). It's not a big garage either, at 21' square.

Wouldn't the 727 need at least 60" worth of unobstructed space for the table? And the lathe about the same- as far as width? I had considered having one of the two not against the wall at all and then putting a work bench behind it. Or setting it up so that the bench would fold up when not being used on the car side of the garage.

Wouldn't the 727 need at least 60" worth of unobstructed space for the table? And the lathe about the same- as far as width?.

That sounds about right, I;ll take a picture of my setup when i get home tonight.

I think if you covered the ways you'd be ok. Maybe run a fan with filter on a window to get positive pressure. For placement, a sketch of the garage space can help with the layout. If you want to use collets on the 1022, the easiest is to get a collet chuck and make a backplate. That's what I use on my 1127 and it's not that bad for home use, but definitely not as nice as a closer for multiple parts. I don't know of a collet closer that's ready to go, but you could make your own.

The spindle bore on the 1022 is too small for a collet closer system. A 5C collet chuck is the way to go. You may have to make a back-plate for it if PM does not offer one.

This is how my machines are set up!
1471644302218-1850202000.jpg

Back