Pm 932 Capacitor Explosion

Going to remove it from the mill today for further inspection. That burnt electrical smell is terrible. To Be continued...................

Hey Jay-z,

I too am more of a low-voltage/microcontroller guy and didn't really want to deal with 3-phase A/C and a VFD, but after having done two, I'm sold. Better than sliced bread... :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, from what I see it looks like the centrifugal switch decided to stick overloading the capacitors and overheating the start windings . They both look a little overheated and have a burnt smell .

Jay

Ouch... Pretty much what I figured, but it still sucks.

Your run cap is ok. The windings are probably ok as well but there's probably a fusible link buried in there somewhere that will have to be replaced before you can put the motor back in service (with a repaired centrifugal switch, of course.) DONT bypass the link.

Would consider getting a new motor at this point. If under warranty should be able to call QMT, otherwise I believe Leeson makes a 3 phase metric flange style in a 1.5 and 2Hp that should match your current motor dimensions (check yours against the ones listed below) . You may find that a 3 phase motor with an inexpensive VFD may be close to the same price if you need to purchase a new single phase replacement motor. Having variable speed, soft start/braking and slightly higher top speed would be like having a new machine. Although the Leeson metric motors are of Chinese origin, many people have upgraded their machines with their metric motors, I have heard of no quality or reliability issues.
http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-192065/
http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-192206/

I am more interested in finding out why it happened. If I go and just replace the capacitor then there is a good possibility that it will happen again. I need to find the root cause of it. I am sure that it is not from too many on off cycles. I am in no hurry with these projects . You know the old saying measure twice ,cut once.There's a lot of time in between cuts. And I hope that I wasn't overloading the machine milling a piece of aluminum with a 3/8 carbide endmill. Maybe it is time for that 3 phase VFD.

Jay

Recommend you check into a made in USA Baldor motor for a replacement. Pricing is all over the map on Baldor motors and internet sellers are frequently way over priced. I purchased a 2hp Baldor replacement motor for my lathe, not your average motor this is Farm Duty rated sealed and gasketed for nasty farm environments. My local 2 man motor repair shop sold me this for like $324, there's a Baldor warehouse in my area (Portland, OR) and they had these in stock. I drove over and picked it up the same day. Some of the crack smoking on-line sellers wanted over $1,000 for this motor plus shipping. Sometimes it pays to buy local. I bought a cast iron Baldor stand for my grinder from them also, again way cheaper than anyone online and it was in stock.

Coolidge,

Finding anything reasonably priced in the Washington DC area is always an adventure. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it is unlikely.

Jay

motor caps are frail creatures.
i'd consider popping a 220 or 250 uf capacitor in it and run it
check belt adjustment or any source of bind, the centrifugal switch will stay open until the motor comes almost up to full speed- any binding may prevent that.

WONDERING if the motor voltage was changed but not the cap to correspond with it

Back