PM-1640TL and Skyhook?

I was planning to put a pipe through the chuck; then have a riser such that I can hook on to it. Sort of a large upside down question mark. I have seen others do something like that.
something like this:

1631159327183.png

Or this

1631159376809.png

But I don't have a bender, nor a torch, so it will have to be some complicated construction.

Mostly the tapped holes are about the center of the body of the chuck or a bit to there left to compensate for the back plate's weight, most of them are 1/2 -13, although my 10" Buck Chuck came tapped for 5/8 - 11.
Thanks.

A section of barn door track attached to your ceiling running the length of your lathe might be another possible solution. I think it would easily handle the weight of your chuck plus help with loading awkward lengths of stock.

A section of barn door track attached to your ceiling running the length of your lathe might be another possible solution. I think it would easily handle the weight of your chuck plus help with loading awkward lengths of stock.
I like it. It should be named a Kevorkian Track, so when times get tough you can throw a couple loops of rope around the chuck, wrap the other end around your neck, and press the green button!

I like it. It should be named a Kevorkian Track, so when times get tough you can throw a couple loops of rope around the chuck, wrap the other end around your neck, and press

Hopefully none of us get to that point no matter how tough it gets.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cannot attach anything to this house. Hence alternate solutions.

I have a SkyHook for my PM-1660TL. I need it for my 12” 4J!

The company in Idaho is *stellar* to deal with. Call in your order to make sure you get the right size (e.g. CXA) mount. VERY friendly people there.

The SkyHook is awesome!

I got the chuck attachment (I forgot the name).

The company has never had an issue with stress on the compound, and they have been in business for a very long time.

I’m starting out some super sweet chuck cradles and clamping down on a piece of round bar to use as a handle. I have a cart the same height as the ways, so it’s not too bad to lift it the 24” from cradle to cradle.

Once I get a little further along, I will probably invest in a machine mounted Skyhook.

ff26a0a6178777c1a1ff435b83462108.jpg

ddadb9e5b6c42e4710948767b8f95157.jpg

f1dd473552fbae12efeb0c8b8e7d352d.jpg

Back