PM-1440GT Accessories?

2. I think I'm leaning back towards the PM-1350GT. It was already the upgrade to my upgrade from where I originally started this journey. I had been trying to find an old Atlas prior to giving up and buying new. The other machines above the PM-1440GT are amazing....and if I had unlimited funds, I would totally go that route, but the reality is I just can't justify it. I have to stop somewhere. The only reason I was thinking about the PM-1440GT was the larger spindle bore, more HP, and assumed rigidity. All of which I don't think I honestly need. I would probably have more fun spending the additional $3000+ on tooling or maybe a mill sooner than anticipated. Although....I am now researching the Eisen brand. I'm a bit hesitant because I can't find the community support and customer services that PM offers. I'm going to need all the help I can get. More research needs to be done here.
I don't own a PM lathe, but I've been looking at them for quite some time with an eye towards buying a 1660TL as my retirement present. I'm something of a lathe nerd with four of them in my shop right now as I go through an upgrade where two will be sold. All are in the size ranges you're looking at...13-14" machines.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1340GT, but there are a couple of things that would matter to me (I'm also a fairly new gunsmith after being a competitive shooter for the last 40 years). The first thing that jumps out at me is the 1440GT has twelve speeds with a range of 50-2000rpm. The 1340GT is 90-1600rpm in twelve steps. For me the top end wouldn't matter much, but having the low end be almost half the speed might come in handy. The other big thing is simply weight. The 1440GT weighs 400lbs more, so about 30% more. While you might think you won't need the extra rigidity, you will certainly appreciate it and it will make your learning process easier. It's simply easier to get good results with a heavier, more rigid machine. I'll give you an example...

One of my lathes is 13" and weighs around 1,200lbs while another is 14" and weighs 1,625lbs. The difference is dramatic when you run them back to back and really shows up for more demanding operations like parting. As an example, parting 1.25" steel with a .375" hole in the center I can run the 14" lathe four times as fast as the 13" lathe without it complaining, and that's using the exact same cutoff tool holder style and insert width. Rigidity is your friend and nobody ever said "this lathe is too rigid!". The larger spindle bore would be a bonus on top of the additional weight and broader RPM range.

As far as accessories go, if I buy from PM I probably won't be buying chucks, a QCTP, or centers from them. They don't make any of those things and similar quality is available for less from other sources. I suspect I know the importer of a few of their items and honestly, the price is nearly double buying directly from the importers, who also sell direct.

I've got chucks from Buck, Bison, Cushman, Skinner, and have had chucks from Pratt Burnered and Kalamazoo Chuck as well. They're all solid choices, although Cushman and Skinner are no longer around....Gator is another pretty solid choice, but I haven't handled one. I also bought an imported SanOu chuck from CME-Tools.com which is a huge importer of machine tools here in Michigan. I was in a pinch and needed a chuck the same day, so I called up, made sure they had it and it was waiting for me when I got there. The chuck meets the runout specs for non-adjustable 3-jaw chucks made by the big companies and is literally 1/5th the cost. I've seen their boxes in pictures of new lathes displaying the accessories so at least some companies are using them as their OEM chuck. I wouldn't hesitate to order one of their 3-jaw adjustable structure style chucks for a new lathe, and I say that having two Buck 3-jaw Adjust True chucks on two of my lathes. I would honestly order a new SanOu (sometimes their eBay price is better than their website price) before I would risk a used brand name chuck unless I was able to inspect the used chuck in person.

The above was talking about 3-jaw chucks, and I think the adjust-true style actually makes the far less expensive imports more attractive...you're going to be able to dial them in to essentially zero runout. About all you're losing is maybe having jaws or a scroll that isn't made out of quite as good material so they wear out in 25 years instead of 50 years. At $400 versus $1,500 you can wear out the import chuck three times and be money ahead.

When you start looking at 4-jaw chucks I think spending big bucks makes even less sense. Independent chucks are just that...independent so the chuck has very little to do with the quality of the work as you're always going to dial it in every time.

As far as QCTP goes, I see zero difference in function comparing the inexpensive imports to Aloris. I have Aloris QCTPs on two of my lathes and they're definitely nice. I'd say they're nicer than the imported stuff, but zero difference in function or repeatability. The fit and finish is a bit better and there is a slight edge in feel to the handle as you open/close it. The tool holders are a bit nicer as well. They tend to use slightly higher quality set screws and maybe they're made out of better steel, but I honestly don't see it making any difference.

I've put Bostar brand QCTPs on four machines so far and they work just fine. In the beginning I checked time and again to confirm the tool was on center after a swap and they always repeat. Set the height carefully, lock the set screw and forget it. For approximately 1/4 the price of Aloris, I think they make all the sense in the world for hobby use. If I was running a production shop I'd hedge and get the Aloris or Dorian just in case. I got lucky and picked up my Aloris tool posts used in really good condition for about what new imports cost, so it was sort of win-win. I've got some Dorian holders that are nicely made as well and mirror the Aloris stuff. If you can find a clean, used Aloris or Dorian grab it as there isn't much that can possibly go wrong with them, but if that's not an option I'd seriously consider any of the imports...you can buy two or three times as many tool holders and still have money left over going that route.

I looked at PM's ultra-precision keyless drill chucks a while back, but on one of my trips to CME I bought one of their keyless drill chucks with an integral 3MT shank and wow...silky smooth and runout that compares with my Albrecht keyless chuck. I was so shocked at how nice it was I eventually bought another one so I don't have to switch them between lathes.

Just some food for thought!

I don't own a PM lathe, but I've been looking at them for quite some time with an eye towards buying a 1660TL as my retirement present. I'm something of a lathe nerd with four of them in my shop right now as I go through an upgrade where two will be sold. All are in the size ranges you're looking at...13-14" machines.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1340GT, but there are a couple of things that would matter to me (I'm also a fairly new gunsmith after being a competitive shooter for the last 40 years). The first thing that jumps out at me is the 1440GT has twelve speeds with a range of 50-2000rpm. The 1340GT is 90-1600rpm in twelve steps. For me the top end wouldn't matter much, but having the low end be almost half the speed might come in handy. The other big thing is simply weight. The 1440GT weighs 400lbs more, so about 30% more. While you might think you won't need the extra rigidity, you will certainly appreciate it and it will make your learning process easier. It's simply easier to get good results with a heavier, more rigid machine. I'll give you an example...

One of my lathes is 13" and weighs around 1,200lbs while another is 14" and weighs 1,625lbs. The difference is dramatic when you run them back to back and really shows up for more demanding operations like parting. As an example, parting 1.25" steel with a .375" hole in the center I can run the 14" lathe four times as fast as the 13" lathe without it complaining, and that's using the exact same cutoff tool holder style and insert width. Rigidity is your friend and nobody ever said "this lathe is too rigid!". The larger spindle bore would be a bonus on top of the additional weight and broader RPM range.

As far as accessories go, if I buy from PM I probably won't be buying chucks, a QCTP, or centers from them. They don't make any of those things and similar quality is available for less from other sources. I suspect I know the importer of a few of their items and honestly, the price is nearly double buying directly from the importers, who also sell direct.

I've got chucks from Buck, Bison, Cushman, Skinner, and have had chucks from Pratt Burnered and Kalamazoo Chuck as well. They're all solid choices, although Cushman and Skinner are no longer around....Gator is another pretty solid choice, but I haven't handled one. I also bought an imported SanOu chuck from CME-Tools.com which is a huge importer of machine tools here in Michigan. I was in a pinch and needed a chuck the same day, so I called up, made sure they had it and it was waiting for me when I got there. The chuck meets the runout specs for non-adjustable 3-jaw chucks made by the big companies and is literally 1/5th the cost. I've seen their boxes in pictures of new lathes displaying the accessories so at least some companies are using them as their OEM chuck. I wouldn't hesitate to order one of their 3-jaw adjustable structure style chucks for a new lathe, and I say that having two Buck 3-jaw Adjust True chucks on two of my lathes. I would honestly order a new SanOu (sometimes their eBay price is better than their website price) before I would risk a used brand name chuck unless I was able to inspect the used chuck in person.

The above was talking about 3-jaw chucks, and I think the adjust-true style actually makes the far less expensive imports more attractive...you're going to be able to dial them in to essentially zero runout. About all you're losing is maybe having jaws or a scroll that isn't made out of quite as good material so they wear out in 25 years instead of 50 years. At $400 versus $1,500 you can wear out the import chuck three times and be money ahead.

When you start looking at 4-jaw chucks I think spending big bucks makes even less sense. Independent chucks are just that...independent so the chuck has very little to do with the quality of the work as you're always going to dial it in every time.

As far as QCTP goes, I see zero difference in function comparing the inexpensive imports to Aloris. I have Aloris QCTPs on two of my lathes and they're definitely nice. I'd say they're nicer than the imported stuff, but zero difference in function or repeatability. The fit and finish is a bit better and there is a slight edge in feel to the handle as you open/close it. The tool holders are a bit nicer as well. They tend to use slightly higher quality set screws and maybe they're made out of better steel, but I honestly don't see it making any difference.

I've put Bostar brand QCTPs on four machines so far and they work just fine. In the beginning I checked time and again to confirm the tool was on center after a swap and they always repeat. Set the height carefully, lock the set screw and forget it. For approximately 1/4 the price of Aloris, I think they make all the sense in the world for hobby use. If I was running a production shop I'd hedge and get the Aloris or Dorian just in case. I got lucky and picked up my Aloris tool posts used in really good condition for about what new imports cost, so it was sort of win-win. I've got some Dorian holders that are nicely made as well and mirror the Aloris stuff. If you can find a clean, used Aloris or Dorian grab it as there isn't much that can possibly go wrong with them, but if that's not an option I'd seriously consider any of the imports...you can buy two or three times as many tool holders and still have money left over going that route.

I looked at PM's ultra-precision keyless drill chucks a while back, but on one of my trips to CME I bought one of their keyless drill chucks with an integral 3MT shank and wow...silky smooth and runout that compares with my Albrecht keyless chuck. I was so shocked at how nice it was I eventually bought another one so I don't have to switch them between lathes.

Just some food for thought!
Great insights and much appreciated! I've already swung back to the 1440 size. I'm investigating ACRA and Eisen right now as well.

I have been reading a ton about the PM Ultra Precision 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks. Apparently they are pretty unbeatable value for the money. I've read several cases where people have compared them to Bison chucks costing twice as much and they are just as accurate and repeatable. Nevertheless, mileage may vary.....but I think I might risk it.

Great information on the QCTP. I'm thinking I will spring for a Dorian or Aloris BXA, but in regard to the tool holders....I'm going to start out with some high quality imports for a 1/3 of the price. I've got a lot to learn before I will know the difference anyway.

If the new lathe is half as fun as the research and interaction with members on this forum has been so far, it will be money well spent! The more I learn the more excited I get.

I have been reading a ton about the PM Ultra Precision 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks. Apparently they are pretty unbeatable value for the money. I've read several cases where people have compared them to Bison chucks costing twice as much and they are just as accurate and repeatable. Nevertheless, mileage may vary.....but I think I might risk it.

Great information on the QCTP. I'm thinking I will spring for a Dorian or Aloris BXA, but in regard to the tool holders....I'm going to start out with some high quality imports for a 1/3 of the price. I've got a lot to learn before I will know the difference anyway.
As far as the chucks go, PM is getting $1,000 for the 8" imported "ultra precision" version they list as an option 1440GT. That's twice what the same chuck from the importer costs, so I don't think it's a great value at all. I don't doubt they work great, but that's because they're an adjustable structure chuck where you dial them in to zero runout just like any other adjustable structure chuck. Spend twice as much and get zero additional accuracy. Maybe they're specifying slightly better material for the jaws and scrolls, but I'd say that's a huge stretch. I think their chucks are in a true no-man's land that makes no sense. If you want the same accuracy and would like to save $500, buy from the importer. If you want the same accuracy with the assurance you're getting the best of the best materials, spend the $1,500 for a Bison or Kalamazoo. In between I honestly think is pouring $500 down the drain that would pay for other stuff you'll need...and there's lots of stuff. For example, a couple of Noga indicator stands, a good test indicator and dial indicator...to let you dial in that new chuck to zero runout easily :)

I only mentioned the QCTP because it's an area you can save a lot and not lose any accuracy or repeatability and a lathe will nickel and dime you to death. Like I said, I've got Aloris on two machines and Bostar on another two...zero difference in function, big difference in price new. I just bought another nice used Aloris BXA here on the forum for $150 so deals are out there if you aren't in a rush.

Interesting. Where did you find a Bison 8" with a D1-5 back plate for $1500? The cheapest I could find was around $1700. What import chuck would you recommend for $500? Although I'm still learning and researching, a $500 import chuck seems to be counterintuitive to the majority of what I have read and the advice I have received so far. Certainly not trying to argue. I'm not qualified to do that yet. :D

Back plates costs vary, Bison chucks you can use Gator back plates which are 1/2 the price. PBA you need to use their back plate. I have a PBA 6.25" Setrite which works very well, Bison 8" combination (4J scroll + independent), Bison 5C set-tru, and the PM 4J 8" independent. I was considering a 10" chuck for large stock, but can't really justify the cost. I am not aware of any 8" forge steel chucks for $500, let alone a set-tru type. Shar's has a cast iron one in 3J and 6J, they seem to be decent. I consider buying good chucks as they can make a big differences in performance of your lathe. I went through quite a few before ending up with the ones I have.

8" BISON 3 Jaw SET-TRU Chuck Forged Steel 7-866-0800 : $1189

PBA 8" 3 Jaw SETRITE Lathe Chuck 0825300 : $1224

Shars 8" 3 Jaw Zero-Set Fine Adjustment Self-Centering Scroll Chucks

I believe the Precision Matthews Ultra Precision are made by Auto-Strong. Call them up and order a container load and you can probably beat PM's price. Mine's not even an adjust tru and has been a very nice chuck. Might not impress the girls in the chess club but does it's job. Even with the Shar's above (I use a lot of Shar's stuff) by the time you add a D1-4 or D1-5 backplate your in for more than the PM chuck.

https://www.auto-strong.com/web_e/scroll_chuck_Jaw_chuck.html

Auto-Strong often come as standard chucks on Taiwanese lathes, they were well made and very good TIR. No doubt the PM/QMT may be made by them, but Auto-Strong does not list a set-tru style chucks nor is their manual 3J forged steel, so the maximum RPM is 2000. Forged steel chucks will be 30-40% more and then you have shipping cost and possible import fees. Shar's with a back plate is $800 on their website (less through eBay) so you can save some coin, but not much. Back plate for the Bison and PBA run about $300 plus shipping, if you order accessories with a lathe through PM/QMT, these come with the machine and you save on the shipping costs.

Also worth checking eBay, here is the Shar's 8" Set-Tru for under $500 with shipping (backing plate is around $135), I know a few people that bought their 8" 6J Set-Tru and overall they were happy with it at the price level.

The one I have says Auto-Strong SK6 that came with PM-1340GT but as you said is limited to 2000 RPM and is NOT set-tru, fits the lathe RPM. The new ultra precisions are rated at 4500 RPM for 6" and 3500 for 8", so must be forged. I don't own one but they sure look like nice chucks. There is an advantage with PM/QMT, you can ask them about quality and they'll back them up. At least I haven't had any problems with them.

It's done! No turning back! I sent the wire transfer today and just got confirmation that it was complete.

I ended up getting the PM-1440GT. I ultimately determined that the PM-1340GT would be more than sufficient, but in order to prevent regret I just went with the PM-1440GT. It's only money, right? YOLO!

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's help. I received a ton great advice! No hard feelings if I didn't take your advice.....it was a back and forth decision with some sleepless nights. I pondered everything that was posted in this thread and tried to apply it to my perspective. I ultimately went with Precision Matthews due to the reputation, customer service, and the unique features of the GT series. They really are unmatched if a short\large spindle bore is important to you. I can't say that the PM-1440GT will be worth the extra cost now or in the future, but I do know that I won't regret it. I'll spend the next few months gathering all of my tooling and measuring devices! I can't wait!

Back