PM-1440GT Accessories?

Beantown

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello!

Warning….I’m a newbie. I’ve done a ton of research, but I have nearly zero practical experience with a lathe. My short to mid-range goal is to start the process of learning a craft I have been fascinated with since I was a kid. My long-term goal is to build custom guns and maybe turn this into a side gig to keep me from going crazy when I retire. I’m 43 now and plan to retire at 50…..maybe 55 if I’m still having fun in my day job.

I’m about to pull the trigger on my first and hopefully last lathe. Until earlier today I thought I had made up my mind on the PM-1340GT….but then I was talking to my wife at lunch and she put doubt in my head. The PM-1340GT would “probably” do everything I would ever need, but the PM-1440GT I KNOW would do everything I would ever need. Essentially, she reminded me that I tend to grow out of things quickly and almost always wish I would have gotten the model above I've never been upset about over buying.

Nevertheless, I’m thinking I will go with the PM-1440GT 3PH and VFD conversion route (still researching the VFD and proximity stop stuff). However, I have a few questions in regard to tooling and accessories. I don’t have a mill right now (that will be next) so I need to have everything bolt on. I would like your opinion on what accessories I should buy from Precision Matthew with the machine and what I should source elsewhere.

I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t get the no-name BXA QCTP from PM. I’m leaning towards a Dorian BXA or even a PWT Multifix, but I really can’t seem to find a supplier in the USA. Any recommendations on a QCTP would be awesome. I don’t need the best….just something that would be a good fit for the quality of this machine. It seems like the $199 BXA kit they sell through PM would be a weak link? I can’t see how a $199 kit would even be close to matching the quality of this machine?

Here are the accessories I AM considering buying from PM with the lathe:

8" Adjustable Ultra Precision 3 Jaw Chuck, D1-5 Mount - $999.99 - 6-jaw instead?! What would be a good option for a 6-jaw?

8" High Precision 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck, D1-5 Mount - $499.99

MagXact Magnetic MX-200L 2 Axis Lathe LCD DRO - 8x40 Inch Scales - $999.99

Micrometer Carriage Stop - $119 – I would like to do a proximity sensor stop. It appears this one will work, but is there something better for that application?

1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3 - $129

BXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set - $174.99 – I know this probably isn’t a great toolset? But would it get me through my learning 101 phase? Or is this just a dumb buy?

1/2 Internal/External Threading Tool Set - $69.99 – Same question\concern as above.

MT-3 Heavy Duty Live Center - $39.99

5-C Adjustable Collet Chuck, D1-5 Mount - $329.99

I’m still a bit torn on a 3-jaw chuck from PM or skipping it and getting a decent 6-jaw chuck. They certainly seem cooler looking and since they spread the load across 3 more jaws it seems like it would be easier on the work piece? I have read a lot back and forth on 3-jaw vs 6-jaw. It seems as if people LOVE them or they don’t think they are necessary at all.

Anyway, I appreciate any help or insight. I like to buy once and cry once, but I also tend to over research and go into analysis paralysis too.

Here are some thoughts. I own a PM-1340GT and have extensively customized it. You can see some details here. I have also advised several other users here on H-M about new lathe selection. Some general comments:

If you plan to do a lot of metric single-point threading, you might want to look at machines even above the PM-1440 that have a universal gearbox. With the 1340 and 1440 you will need to remove and install different gears on the banjo of the headstock to achieve the myriad of threads you might encounter. The step up from the PM-1440GT would be to the PM-1440TL or PM-1440ERL (which is special order). You might want to read through this post. Mark Jacobs, who did the VFD controls for my lathe and mill, and has done many many VFD systems for other users here, upgraded from his PM-1340GT to the ERL-1440 skipping over the PM-1440GT. Some details on that machine in this thread.

I'm attaching my curated list of recommended tooling and accessories for both the mill and lathe.

The 8" 3-jaw chuck is pretty large for the 1440GT and is better suited to a more robust and heavier machine like the ones mentioned above. So unless you have a specific need for 8" 3-jaw, you might be happier with the 6". I have the 6" 2-piece 3-jaw ultra precision Taiwanese chuck on my 1340GT and it's every bit as good as my other Bison 3-jaw. Just make sure you get a 3-jaw with set-true adjustability and 2-piece jaws.

There's been a lot of chatter on here about various issues with the MagXact DRO. I recommend you search the forums here before making a final decision. You will want 1u scales on the cross slide for sure. I have the DRO Pro's EL400 which has been great. It's not in the same league as the Newall on my PM-935 mill, but it didn't cost me $2,500 either.

Since you seem to be thinking toward the long term, and making "buy once" kind of decisions, I'd recommend you skip the turning/boring/threading tool sets you called out, and buy individual higher quality tools. For guidence on this, have a look at this post. No pressure.

I'm attaching a write-up that contrasts the ER versus 5C topic.

I have the Dorian BXA on my machine and love it. I have also used the Multifix. Personally, I prefer the Dorian. Feel free to DM me if you want to go into a deeper dive on any of these topics/choices. So I would stick with a name brand QCTP and if you go the route of Aloris/Dorian, then buy and upgrade the individual tool holders for the QCTP from PM.

Attachments

• About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • Machine Tooling Get Started List December2022.pdf
    168.6 KB · Views: 56
Here are some thoughts. I own a PM-1340GT and have extensively customized it. You can see some details here. I have also advised several other users here on H-M about new lathe selection. Some general comments:

If you plan to do a lot of metric single-point threading, you might want to look at machines even above the PM-1440 that have a universal gearbox. With the 1340 and 1440 you will need to remove and install different gears on the banjo of the headstock to achieve the myriad of threads you might encounter. The step up from the PM-1440GT would be to the PM-1440TL or PM-1440ERL (which is special order). You might want to read through this post. Mark Jacobs, who did the VFD controls for my lathe and mill, and has done many many VFD systems for other users here, upgraded from his PM-1340GT to the ERL-1440 skipping over the PM-1440GT. Some details on that machine in this thread.

I'm attaching my curated list of recommended tooling and accessories for both the mill and lathe.

The 8" 3-jaw chuck is pretty large for the 1440GT and is better suited to a more robust and heavier machine like the ones mentioned above. So unless you have a specific need for 8" 3-jaw, you might be happier with the 6". I have the 6" 2-piece 3-jaw ultra precision Taiwanese chuck on my 1340GT and it's every bit as good as my other Bison 3-jaw. Just make sure you get a 3-jaw with set-true adjustability and 2-piece jaws.

There's been a lot of chatter on here about various issues with the MagXact DRO. I recommend you search the forums here before making a final decision. You will want 1u scales on the cross slide for sure. I have the DRO Pro's EL400 which has been great. It's not in the same league as the Newall on my PM-935 mill, but it didn't cost me $2,500 either.

Since you seem to be thinking toward the long term, and making "buy once" kind of decisions, I'd recommend you skip the turning/boring/threading tool sets you called out, and buy individual higher quality tools. For guidence on this, have a look at this post. No pressure.

I'm attaching a write-up that contrasts the ER versus 5C topic.

I have the Dorian BXA on my machine and love it. I have also used the Multifix. Personally, I prefer the Dorian. Feel free to DM me if you want to go into a deeper dive on any of these topics/choices. So I would stick with a name brand QCTP and if you go the route of Aloris/Dorian, then buy and upgrade the individual tool holders for the QCTP from PM.
David, this is excellent information. Thank you so much. I have some reading to do over the next few evenings. I also purchased your book and it's on the way! I'll return to this post once I have a chance to digest the information you have provided. Thank you very much!

David, this is excellent information. Thank you so much. I have some reading to do over the next few evenings. I also purchased your book and it's on the way! I'll return to this post once I have a chance to digest the information you have provided. Thank you very much!
If you haven't already, you should read through this thread - Eissen should be on your list to evaluate IMO.

I can’t help with the machine decision since I don’t have anything that big, but I will say you are lucky to have a good wife that is thinking objectively about this, my wife’s eyes glaze over when I start talking about machining lol.

I will second David’s recommendation to get quality toolholders in the type you will need instead of the set. I use mostly CCMT style now, you can do a lot with just one SCLCR holder and then add in others as you need them.

I have a 1236T and do mostly metric threading, it gets to be a PITA changing the gears for different threads, so if you can swing it, get the machine David recommended that has the universal gearbox.

I bought the 8” 4 jaw chuck from PM, it is good quality, so at that price, it is worth getting.

I have the PM 5c collet chuck, it’s nice for the price, but if you plan on doing any production runs, it will get tiring quickly having to loosen and tighten the collet each time. Since you plan on doing this as a business, you might want a Sjogren style quick chuck, or a lever collet closer. The PM chuck is fine if you only plan on using it occasionally, but you might outgrow it quickly.

I'm a Multifix guy but everything I've bought from Dorian is first rate. I'd not hesitate to go with either Aloris or Dorian. While I like my Multifix for the ability to quickly slant the tool for chamfering or oddball cuts, you do need to remove the tool holder to move the setting on the post. I believe you can just release the Dorian and retighten without doing that. You do want to return to the same setting when done. If spending stupid money, the Dorian Quadra or Aloris equivalent are probably the ultimate system. Insanely expensive but I have seen lightly used ones for a more reasonable price. the holders though add a lot of cost. There are no reasonably priced Multifix suppliers in the US. I deal directly with Peter at Pewe and he has been a good guy. The Pewe Multifix is about the only Chinese tooling I buy. Size E would be your choice. Beware that Multifix relies on pretty exact tolerances and there isn't great interchangeability among brands. I would not mix Create with AXA or Pewe. They might work but risky. Most of my various older Swiss and German holders fit the Pewe post but there are differences in fit.

I know the money thing adds up in a hurry but I'd also second the recommendation to look at the vfd driven machines. I prefer clutched lathes but a vfd negates some of that advantage, although I put a Jacobs vfd system on my old clutched machines. Not as big of a deal on small motors but still worth consideration if you plan to turn heavier objects. The vfd lathes eliminate some of the headstock gearing and make fine tuning the rpm very easy which is a blessing on a smaller machine where there isn't as much mass to absorb the turning stresses. You can compensate with gears, DOC and feed rates but it takes experience compared to adjusting a Pot to get a little better result.

I'd also look for a better live center. Runout on a center causes your head to explode and a good extended tip Skoda, Bison, or Riten can be found for reasonable used prices ( Royal are hard to find reasonable- if you do, they are top of the line ). Spending 150-200 for a good live center is worth the pain.

Dave

Okay! This was great! It sent me down a few rabbit holes, but that is exactly what I need right now. I think I have read, processed, and understand the information you provided....at least to my current skill level. "You don't know what you don't know" could never be truer. This craft is quite overwhelming, so often times I don't know where to begin. I read and read and read, but when you are trying to absorb so much information....it really helps to ask questions framed from my perspective (even if they have already been asked by others). There really isn't a right or wrong...or best answer for some of this stuff. I appreciate the patience and you guys answering my questions. It has really helped me self-reflect and determine what will be right for me.

Here is what I've gathered from the information provided thus far....

1. I have a lot to learn, but I'm super excited about it.

2. I think I'm leaning back towards the PM-1350GT. It was already the upgrade to my upgrade from where I originally started this journey. I had been trying to find an old Atlas prior to giving up and buying new. The other machines above the PM-1440GT are amazing....and if I had unlimited funds, I would totally go that route, but the reality is I just can't justify it. I have to stop somewhere. The only reason I was thinking about the PM-1440GT was the larger spindle bore, more HP, and assumed rigidity. All of which I don't think I honestly need. I would probably have more fun spending the additional $3000+ on tooling or maybe a mill sooner than anticipated. Although....I am now researching the Eisen brand. I'm a bit hesitant because I can't find the community support and customer services that PM offers. I'm going to need all the help I can get. More research needs to be done here.

3. The advice given on the accessories seems to be spot on.
  • The ER40 vs 5C seems like a no brainer now. I will be going the ER route.
  • Same thing with the DRO. I'm going to investigate other options. Maybe even TouchDRO with some magnetic scales. I'm a tech nerd....so that will be right up my alley. If that scares me, I will circle back to the DRO Pros suggestion. I have found a ton of recommendations on them.
  • 6" Ultra Precision 3-jaw from PM seems to be a solid start. I'll investigate other options as my skill progresses.
  • Tooling TBD - I will read David's book and go from there.
  • If I end up going with the PM-1340GT or 1440GT I will do a 3PH with VFD. That really seems like it will be the most worthwhile upgrade. I have been studying Mark Jacobs' write up on the VFD conversions. Man, that is some great stuff! Very grateful for people like you guys.
  • The change gears was very eye opening. I had assumed the gear head lathe would eliminate that for 99% of threads both SAE and Metric. I now understand that is not the case. At this time I believe most of the work I plan to do will be pretty simple SAE threads. Even the few Metric threads I know of seem to be on the standard gear set. M26x1.5 on HOWA barrels is the only thing I can think of at this time.
  • The upgraded live center makes perfect sense. I will take that advice as well.
  • For the QCTP - It sounds like I can't go wrong with Dorian or Aloris. I will go that route. Multifix seems cool, but I'm not sure it will be worth the extra hassle to find\import a good one. I'd rather stick with something more standardized.
THANK YOU!

The 1340GT is the slightly bigger brother of my 1236T, it’s a great lathe that I think you will be happy with. Having enough money for tooling is just as important, if your business takes off and you need the larger capacity, you can always upgrade at a later date.

Back