PM-1236T lathe: Tailstock DRO bracket

It's a cheap accusize 2" range dial indicator, .0005 increments. About 50$ on Amazon.

Accusize Industrial Tools 0-2'' by 0.0005'' Dial Indicators, P900-S112 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0189PVYAM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_01STBR0C9PZKHHNX35GH

Base is a Mighty Mag.

RSC Mighty Mag Magnetic Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00095V0NC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_T40SVC0C5RN9XEEK4Y0H

So far, the accuracy has been at least as good as the digital one on on my mill quill. It's graduations match up to my tailstock handwheel over the indicators entire range of travel.

I can reposition the magnetic base to accommodate the quill at different extension points.
Ok. For some reason I was thinking it covered the travel of the entire quill... And that would be expensive.

Actually you can get an similar quality dial 2" travel indicator and mighty mag holder for way cheaper than that.

21$

8$

I know many tool snobs won't like imports but I say it all the time, my harbor freight dial indicator has been as accurate and repeatable as my American made indicators. Where they usually lack is in fit and finish like plunger spring tension or zero dial smoothness. Both which have no burden on a tail stock dro.

Last edited:
BTU I printed this in Matter Hackers NylonX and it came out great, Thank you for a post how to upgrade these machines. I used an old iGage DRO and cut it length for a nice clean install will get some pix as soon as the temp here get above the -12* F wind chill -29 real feel, so I can do some thing out in the shop.
CH

FYI, the tailstock quill on the PM1228 is slightly smaller in diameter than the one on the PM1236T. In case anyone wants to try this on their 1228.

It looks like some of you have tailstocks with graduated dials...as does mine. I really don't see a need for this kind of DRO with the precise measurement capability of these tailstocks. Trying to remember not to spin the quill back hard to extract a tool would be too mentally taxing, maybe that's my problem.

It looks like some of you have tailstocks with graduated dials...as does mine. I really don't see a need for this kind of DRO with the precise measurement capability of these tailstocks. Trying to remember not to spin the quill back hard to extract a tool would be too mentally taxing, maybe that's my problem.
I have my TouchDRO tablet sitting on the top of the headstock, so I can see it while watching the chuck. Having to watch the dials on the tailstock takes my attention away from that.

I also have the same problem with retracting the tailstock quill too quickly and the tool ejector popping the tool out. Having the ejector hitting at one inch on the engraved scale doesn't help. May cut off the tang on the drill chuck, as that one bites me the most.

Back