PM-1236T lathe: Tailstock DRO bracket

llamatrails

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is my version of a tailstock DRO bracket for the PM-1236T lathe, using an iGaging scale.

I 3D printed the bracket in PLA, using an infill of 100%. The top half of the iGaging scale slide bracket
is re-used to clamp the slide to the tailstock bracket with M4 screws. I enlarged and tapped the holes
into the PLA after the printing. A 1/4-20 screw was used to secure the bracket to the tailstock quill,
also enlarged and tapped (one side) into the PLA after printing.

The sensor of the iGaging scale is attached to the tailstock with double sided tape.

PM1236T-tailstock-bracket-0.jpg
PM1236T-tailstock-bracket-1.jpg

The STL file is available at : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5236928 and below.

Attachments

• PM1236T-tailstock-bracket.STL
    62.4 KB · Views: 85
Printing it.

Doesn't a bracket cause you to lose a bit of travel, but worse prevent you from retracting the quill all the way back to help push out jammed tooling?

I have the 12x36C and that would seem to be a problem in using such a bracket... Trying to figure out what to do about it as id like to add a scale to the tail stock

Doesn't a bracket cause you to lose a bit of travel, but worse prevent you from retracting the quill all the way back to help push out jammed tooling?

I have the 12x36C and that would seem to be a problem in using such a bracket... Trying to figure out what to do about it as id like to add a scale to the tail stock
It is thin enough that if you place it all the way to the end, it will still work... My initial bracket was using some delrin material. If I pull it in all the way it will push the bracket off... but if I am careful, the drill chuck or the live center will come out just as it is touching the bracket.

IMG_4204.jpeg

It is thin enough that if you place it all the way to the end, it will still work... My initial bracket was using some delrin material. If I pull it in all the way it will push the bracket off... but if I am careful, the drill chuck or the live center will come out just as it is touching the bracket.

View attachment 396205

Looks nice, is that on your Grizzly lathe or did you go ahead and get the PM lathe you had on order?

I also agree with axa88, I need a 3D printer.

On my PM-1236T the ejector hits the tooling tang at the 1" mark on the engraved scale, so the bracket doesn't interfere with it.

Looks nice, is that on your Grizzly lathe or did you go ahead and get the PM lathe you had on order?

I also agree with axa88, I need a 3D printer.

Got the used Grizzly G0709... ended up cancelling the PM order...

Seems to me some enterprising soul could just make and sell these to people who aren't much interested in buying their own 3D printer. :)

Back