Pm-1228vf-lb

PM-1228VF-LB Main Specifications

Type - Variable Speed
Max. Swing over bed - 12”
Max. Swing over cross slide - 7”
Center Height - 6”
Spindle Center Line Distance from Floor - Approx. 44” (With Stand)
Max. Distance Between Centers - 28”
Spindle Chuck Mount - D1-4, Camlock
Spindle Face to Tail Stock Spindle Face Max Distance - 30”
Width of Bed - 7”
Spindle Bore - 1-1/2”
Spindle Taper, Internal - MT #5
Spindle Speeds (Variable, 2 Ranges) - Low: 50-1000RPM - High: 100-2000 RPM
Bed Length - 38”
Lead Screw Diameter / Pitch - 3/4” / 8 TPI
Feed Rod Diameter - 3/4”
Inch Thread Cutting Range - 5-72 TPI, 27 Different Threads
Metric Thread Cutting Range - .25-2.5mm Pitch
Longitudinal Feed Range (Left and Right) - .0015-.0159 Inches Per Revolution
Cross Feed Range (In and Out) - .001-.010 Inches Per Revolution
Spindle Length through headstock, Protruding End to D1-5 Chuck Mounting face - Approx. 13”
Spindle Length through headstock, Protruding End to 3 Jaw Chuck face - Approx. 16-1/2”
Max Carriage Travel, Along Bed Ways - 24”
Cross Slide Travel - 6-1/4”
Compound Travel - 3-1/4”
Tail Stock Quill Diameter / Travel - 1-1/4” / 4"
Tail Stock Quill Taper - MT #3
Tail Stock Quill Travel - 4”
Main Motor Horsepower / Type - 2HP / DC BRUSHLESS High Torque
Voltage / Phase/ Amps - 120 Volts, 13 Amps
Max. Dimensions, Assembled (Includes cross slide handles) - 49”H x 26”W x 50”L
Foot Print (without Handles Included) - 50”L x 21” Front of chip pan to back of splash guard
Approximate Machine Weight, With Cast Iron Base - Machine only, 490 Lbs, With Stand, 600 Lbs

Standard Equipment for precision Lathe Model # PM-1228VF-LB:
• 6” 3 Jaw Chuck
• Chip Tray
• Steady Rest
• Follow Rest
• Feed Rod Clutch
• Operator's Manual and Parts List
• 3 Year Warranty
• Back Splash Guard
• D1-4 Camlock Spindle Mounting • Reducing Sleeve (For Spindle)
• Tail Stock Dead Center
• Headstock Dead Center
• Inch/Metric Threading Ability

Optional Equipment for Lathes
• Digital Readout, 2 Axis
• 5-C Collet Chuck,, D1-4 Mount
• 8" 4 Jaw Jaw Chuck
• Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set, AXA
• 5C Collet Set (Inch or Metric)

I just got through talking to Matt at Quality Tools, and I changed my order to the PM 1228-VF-LB instead of the 1127.
The chuck mount and the brushless DC motor were deciding factors.
I'm ok with a touch pad as long as it doesn't break.
He assured me that for the decade or so, I can get a replacement in just a few days.

I already have an AXA tool post and a couple of 5/8" drill chucks and getting a JT to MT3 adapter is no big deal. My MT2 live centers can easily be adapted to MT3 with a sleeve. He says that they are on this side of the ocean, off the ship and I can expect delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Whoo Hoo!

If you determine this new lathe is a keeper, save up your pennies and get a spare touch pad or two over the next few years. That way you have spares. :)

I've been a big fan of BLDC motors and controls since getting my little SB 8k. I am considering converting Blue (my little PM25) to a BLDC drive and ribbed pulley setup. I think you will like the efficiency and torque of this motor/control design. But that's just my opinion... :rolleyes:

Now, Bill, I'm not buying a Jaguar, although I have to admit, I always wanted two of them. :)

I've more than blown my budget on this thing. I think I'll see if it works ok like it is, before I start tearing into it.

Franko- I don't suppose you asked about a manual? I don't have and won't easily have 220v in my garage,
which is yet another reason I thought the 11x27 was perfect. I guess a phone call to Matt is in order. The
extra couple of weeks is no big deal, but if the price gap is that close, it might be silly not to consider it.

Dan, the 1228 has a 2 hp 120V motor. There is no PDF manual available. They don't actually have one for the 1127 as the one online is not the configuration they sell.

Sounds like the 12x28 might be the way to go. Better get my order in before their all gone!

Tim, you don't have to remove the bolts on a bolt on chuck?

That is usually how they work. Like this (Grizzly G0516, also known as a Sieg C6), you have to loosen the three bolts, than you can rotate the chuck a few degrees and pull the nuts through the larger holes in the integrated spindle backplate. I think on some of the tiny lathes you end up removing the bolts entirely (like on the 7x12 mini lathes).

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%204.20.01%20PM_zpsnggzh6ex.png

But what makes it a "bolt on chuck" is that bolts run between the spindle (with its integrated back plate) and the chuck, and you have to loosen them (or completely remove them) to dismount the chuck.

Three types of mounting systems (that I know about):
1. Bolt on chuck: bolts hold chuck to spindle
2. Threaded spindle. Spindle has a large threaded surface that the chuck screw on to. Bad thing happen if you abruptly reverse the spindle (although modern versions also have clamps to prevent this sort of thing).
3. Cam lock chuck. Cam locks hold the chuck in place, turn each cam 1/4 of a turn to disengage it from the chuck.

40 pushes? I don't think you know how a digital control works. More like 3-4 if you have decent reflexes.

Not all digital controls are created equal.

LMS variable speed lathe, someone reported (with frustration) that the digital controls, consisted of up or down arrows only, and each push added or subtracted 10 rpm per push. Painful.

My version of digital controls are the VFD I have on my two mills, where speed control is a twist of the rheostat, which is very easy. But the OP was talking about pushbutton speed controls, which (depending on how the controller is built) could be less than user friendly.

Not only do I know how digital controls are built, I have built my own before...

I've been designing digital pretty much since it was invented. Now that we've got that out of the way... :)

Most digital controls I have used and designed will only increment a pre-set amount with a momentary push (usually a rising edge in positive logic circuits). If held than a pre-defined time period a series of pulses is generated for as long as the button is held. Can't speak to the LMS lathe as I have no experience with it but it 'could' be a simple latch circuit that generates one pulse per rising (or falling) edge regardless of how long it is held. I've seen high school students design better circuits than that, but whatever. Call it what you want. I'm done here.

Back