Pm-1228vf-lb

I agree with Tim, that's a bolt on chuck in my book. Anything that requires the removal of a fastener, whether it be a bolt or a nut, to remove the chuck & adapter is bolt on. In the case of the 1127-VF, you have to unscrew nuts from the studs to remove the chuck. On a camlock, you simply turn the cam to release the pins. No removal of fasteners needed.

This type of chuck mounting is common on asian import mini lathes. IIRC there's also another type that is similar where you only have to loosen the nuts or bolts, rotate, & the nuts or bolts will pass through a clearance hole on the spindle. I could be mistaken but I think I've seen it before.

I went through this very same decision years ago. I had purchased a PM1127VF in 2009, not the LB model as it did not exist at that time. The 1127VF (non LB) had a different spindle type, it was DIN55021. Basically the same as it is now for fastening but it had a nose taper on the spindle. The nose taper is better for accuracy/repeatability but made making additional adapters a lot more work. The LB does not have the nose taper so making backplates for it is pretty simple. The spindle type & other factors made me change my mind & get a PM1236 instead as I could not afford the PM1340T (not GT) or the PM1440HD at the time. Very glad I did go with the PM1236 instead.

This PM1228VF-LB looks like it may become a popular model IMO

I've had my share of bolt on chucks, thanks. :)

40 pushes? I don't think you know how a digital control works. More like 3-4 if you have decent reflexes.

Camlock system is the way to go, this machine is just another variant of the Sieg SC8. Looked at the one at DRO Pros when I started looking, the bolt on chuck was an instant deal killer. Also, when you started adding up all the individual add ons for DRO Pro model, it was almost the same price as a PM1236. The PM1228 with the D1-4 is much more preferable, if you are size and space limited.

You might look at this old thread on the SC8: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/sieg-sc8-and-its-spindle-mount.30773/

Not sure what the issue is with the push buttons, other than wearing out more easily then conventional buttons. Usually they have a scroll feature, so press and hold to quickly change the parameter. If you want a lower speed, one could change the motor pulley. I have heard that the DC brushless motors in these models work very well.

That is exactly what a bolt on chuck is.

I'm still a bit confused on that, Tim. It doesn't look like you remove the bolts on the 1127. The only mention in the manual says loosen the bolts and turn the washers, then pull the chuck off. That implies to me there is some sort of slot or key.

Regarding switches and touch pads. My mill has touch pads and they work great. My worry is that someday they are going to fail. My understanding of touch pads is that they are not just switches. They are connected or integral with a board and relays that are most probably propitiatory. If the day comes that it fails, I'm stuck with someone stocking that specific part.

With mechanical switches, options are relatively low tech for repair and/or upgrade and are widely available.

Last edited:
I just spoke to Nicole at Quality Machine Tools. She informed me that my 1127-VF-LB is out of the factory and on the boat. Could be around 3 weeks until delivery. I'm guessing more like 4 weeks.

She sent me a data sheet on the new 1228 (estimated to arrive about a week before the 1127.

The significant differences I'm seeing are Touch pads, 1/2 more horsepower motor, lead screw clutch, and no cross power feed.

Less significant is no AXA tool post, tailstock chuck, and live center, which are optional in an upgrade package.

Dimensions and weight are just about identical. That's significant for me, as I've already begun fabrication of the stand, and it will suffice for either the 1127 or 1228.

Example of a Sieg bolt on chuck. Not something you will find an easy replacement for, reason why the D1-4 version would be much more preferable.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/reviews/Lathes/Sieg_C8/C8.htm
Sieg SC8 chuck.jpg

I just spoke to Nicole at Quality Machine Tools. She informed me that my 1127-VF-LB is out of the factory and on the boat. Could be around 3 weeks until delivery. I'm guessing more like 4 weeks.

She sent me a data sheet on the new 1228 (estimated to arrive about a week before the 1127.

The significant differences I'm seeing are Touch pads, 1/2 more horsepower motor, lead screw clutch, and no cross power feed.

Less significant is no AXA tool post, tailstock chuck, and live center, which are optional in an upgrade package.

Dimensions and weight are just about identical. That's significant for me, as I've already begun fabrication of the stand, and it will suffice for either the 1127 or 1228.
I wasn't aware that the 12x28 didn't have power cross feed.

Sorry, I was mistaken. It does. I re-checked the info and sure enough, it is mentioned.

Machine Standard Features and Equipment:

PM-1228VF-LB Main Features
  • D1-4 CAMLOCK SPINDLE MOUNT, with LARGE 1.5” Spindle Bore, Best in class for
    universal chuck mounting, and the ability to accept larger diameter work that can pass through the spindle for much easier setup
  • Large Morse Taper #3 bore in tail stock, to allow for larger accessories and more gripping power for those tough drilling jobs, yet you can just use a reducing sleeve for smaller MT accessories
  • Power feed on Carriage, and Cross Slide, both left and right, and in and out, for both turning and facing operations with automatic feed. Allows for the best surface finish in all directions.
  • Variable Spindle Speeds from 50-2000 RPM in 2 Steps to provide more torque at low speeds, and the ability to perfectly match the speed for the job for increased cutting tool life and better surface finishes
  • 2 HP BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR, for better torque, and best reliability during long term use
  • Rigid Cast Iron Construction, for deeper cuts, and more vibration dampening
  • Induction Hardened and Precision Ground Bed Ways to resist wear and give a long service life
  • All gears and shafts in headstock hardened and precision ground for long life and quieter running
  • High quality electronics used throughout machine
  • Slip Clutch on feed rod, to help prevent overloading damage of feeds and allow the use of a solid carriage stop for repetitive work
  • Precision Tapered Roller Bearings used in spindle, for the ultimate in long life, high precision, and best surface finishes
  • Inch AND Metric thread cutting ability is a standard feature, with many quick change threads for less change gears. 15 different threads or feeds can be cut with one gear setup. Many less gears to change compared to others in this class
  • NCH PITCH main lead screw, cross feed, tailstock, and compound slide lead screws make it easy to use for the INCH measurement System, yet still has the Metric readings on dials for the ultimate in versatility for any job that may come about
  • Splash oil bath lubrication in Thread/Feed Gearbox, and Apron, for efficient lubrication, and long life, especially compared to traditional open-non lubricated Thread/Feed Gearbox design, yet simple and reliable, and does not require any filter changes or pump maintenance as with oil pump lubrication systems. Also no risk of losing oil flow to expensive parts as there can be with pump lubricated systems
  • Longest in class, 3 Year Warranty for added piece of mind

Last edited:
Back