PM-1228 tailstock?

To keep the adjustment, you need to set the adjusting bolts tightly against each other, nearly all lathes work the same in that respect.
Yes, I have done that, but the rear still moves side to side (ever so slightly) when I unlock the tailstock to move it back and forth, which points the front a new direction.

I'm new to this hobby, so if all do that, I'd be surprised. I center drill move the tailstock back to load the longer drill and it's no longer in the center, the drill, no matter what size, will normally be one side of the other. I can see the side to side movement.

My issue is the lock screw is missing, the other gentleman who lives in Pittsburgh received his in the same shipment as mine, and his has the screw in mine is missing.

Thank you for your input! All input is more knowledge for my brain.

There is a screw in the back that is supposed to lock the rear in, but mine isn't keyed for a hex wrench to tighten.

Attachments

• PXL_20220228_175101813.jpg
    PXL_20220228_175101813.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220228_174700430.jpg
    PXL_20220228_174700430.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220228_174521416.jpg
    PXL_20220228_174521416.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 96
Ok, I fixed it. My first PM Tech support case was very disappointing. The guy was "always puzzled" by the locking screw in the back.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's only work on the Taiwanese lathes, with better tolerances. The alignment groove in the top portion of the tailstock is way too loose to keep it aligned by just tightening the alignment screws together.

My temporary fix.

Attachments

• PXL_20220228_182502051.jpg
    PXL_20220228_182502051.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220228_181718663.jpg
    PXL_20220228_181718663.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 94
I haven't gotten to play with mine yet since I am still waiting on the electrician to come wire up power and adequate lighting but I went and checked and mine looks the same. Mine was only delivered a few eeks ago so I guess it's just an issue with a manufacturing batch maybe?

Could be? I think my fix is better than the factory solution. I'm now getting a larger patch on the "locking block" on the lower part of the tailstock. It's just a M6 bolt and nut. I had to screw it in from the inside-out to clear-out the body filler, but now when I unlock the tailstock to move it back and forth it's solid, no jiggling around. I realigned it with the dead centers and now it's holding.

Try yours as is, maybe it's good, but mine wasn't. I now have 3 points of clamping. I've been told that clamping stock in a Mill needs a minimum of 3 points, this it true on these (1228) tailstocks...

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

To keep the adjustment, you need to set the adjusting bolts tightly against each other, nearly all lathes work the same in that respect.
Ben,

I just noticed that the PM-1228 is only lathe that Precision Matthews sells that has the adjustment screws at the front of the tail stock, all others are at the rear. At the rear might make the difference.

Just a note that at least in 4/2022 the PM-1228 tailstock has the third adjustment screw in the back as well as the two in the side.

Just a note that at least in 4/2022 the PM-1228 tailstock has the third adjustment screw in the back as well as the two in the side.
I think they've been there all along, it's just hit or miss if it's putty'd over. It's there because the groove in the tailstock is toward the front, whereas most lathes have it in the back.

I assume you have a1228? Is your carriage smooth/little resistance going back and forth? Mine has more resistance than if like. Other lathes seem effortless and buttery smooth.

The half-nuts aren't engaged, and the carriage lock is loose (I have a DRO, do I can't lock it yet). I've lubed (way oil) the underside of the ways.

The only adjustment I see is part 547 & 524? Just curious what other PM-1228's are like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220414-063044.png
    Screenshot_20220414-063044.png
    259.2 KB · Views: 73
I think they've been there all along, it's just hit or miss if it's putty'd over. It's there because the groove in the tailstock is toward the front, whereas most lathes have it in the back.

I assume you have a1228? Is your carriage smooth/little resistance going back and forth? Mine has more resistance than if like. Other lathes seem effortless and buttery smooth.

The half-nuts aren't engaged, and the carriage lock is loose (I have a DRO, do I can't lock it yet). I've lubed (way oil) the underside of the ways.

The only adjustment I see is part 547 & 524? Just curious what other PM-1228's are like.
541 and 542 are the rear saddle/carriage gib, might try loosening them and fronts slightly to see if it helps reduce the stiffness.
My 1228 saddle/apron assembly was a little stiff in the for/aft movement, however, it loosened up after I used it for a couple test projects (new machine, gears, ways. etc..)

Back