PM-1228 tailstock?

I think they've been there all along, it's just hit or miss if it's putty'd over. It's there because the groove in the tailstock is toward the front, whereas most lathes have it in the back.

I assume you have a1228? Is your carriage smooth/little resistance going back and forth? Mine has more resistance than if like. Other lathes seem effortless and buttery smooth.

The half-nuts aren't engaged, and the carriage lock is loose (I have a DRO, do I can't lock it yet). I've lubed (way oil) the underside of the ways.

The only adjustment I see is part 547 & 524? Just curious what other PM-1228's are like.

Yes, new 1228 here. I agree, saddle motion resistance is a bit higher than I'd like. It did improve when shipping grease was replaced with way oil but even after some light usage is still higher than expected. Lock is released, verified by cranking cross slide back to clear DRO cover. Since we can't readily use the saddle lock perhaps this stiffness is a good thing. I haven't tried adjusting the saddle gibbs as suggested, that should do it. What do most folks do about a saddle lock? The DRO X slide covers both saddle and cross slide locks as mentioned. I miss not having it.

Back