PM-1228 Lathe Help Please!

Buggy Chief

Registered
Registered
My 1228 lathe is great. My issue I am having that I need help solving is when the thread nut and cross/slide feed are in neutral, mine continues to move towards the headstock. Any advice to fix this is appreciated. I have called PM and they said take the saddle off so you can see the apron and the gears and verify...everything seems to work normal. I am at a loss for what to do next. Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks to me like half of the nut remains engaged. I would disassemble the half-nut components, clean and deburr them, put it back together with light oil and test again.

It appears that the top half nut is low and when open maybe catching the lead screw intermittently. I don't see a way to adjust the lead screw down, so I took the apron off. Now I don't see a way to adjust the half nuts, specifically the top one up to give more relief in the open position. Thoughts?
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg

Move the whole assembly up, this will lift the top one but raise the lower. I am checking the drawings in the manual now.

I don't see how to do that. I was looking at the drawings too. THANKS for your help!!!!

Page 26 and 40 talk about adjustments.

I would remove the half nuts and clean the slots etc re lube and try again. There is also that bolt out the top which is not explained what it is for but sure looks like it is there for a reason. The handle has 2 pins that lift and drop the half nuts and that is it. Try clean and lube first.

We have this lathe at work for small stuff but have not run into this issue YET.

Back