PM-1127VF-LB

I got no Samoan, , but I do try to work smarter and not harder if I can. I hope to be prepared either way.

Well, I got a tracking number for the 1236
I'll start a new thread when it arrives
Yea, yea, lots of pics!!

I just got a Weiss WB290F which looks eerily identical to the new PM1127. Except mine has a 1500W (2HP) Brusless DC spindle motor like the PM1228. I just started it up for the first time today and was surprised how noisy the spindle was. Thought it would run quieter. I think the noise is actually coming from the change gears there is a lot of play in them. For those of you that have the PM 1127 how is the spindle noise wise?

I just got a Weiss WB290F which looks eerily identical to the new PM1127. Except mine has a 1500W (2HP) Brusless DC spindle motor like the PM1228. I just started it up for the first time today and was surprised how noisy the spindle was. Thought it would run quieter. I think the noise is actually coming from the change gears there is a lot of play in them. For those of you that have the PM 1127 how is the spindle noise wise?
There should little to no noise from the spindle itself. See what it sounds like when only the spindle is being driven. You can disengage the change gears by rotating the banjo. If you want to go a step further, you can remove the belt and see if the motor is making any unusual sounds. You probably just need to adjust the gear mesh on the change gears and use open gear oil.

I actually did what you suggested yesterday. I removed all the change gears and drive belt. Listened to the motor is was ok. Next hooked the drive belt to the spindle and it was ok then reinstalled the change gears, took some of the play out of it and also put a tad of grease on the gears. Much quieter now. Thanks

Reactions: Z2V
Yeah, I think the 1236 is only $100 more than the 1228 and it comes with an 8" 4 jaw chuck. It is also much heavier than the 1228
which is great for rigidity, but 1200lbs was a little more than I wanted to deal with. Also, the 1228 has the variable speed, but you
could add to the 1236 by adding a VFD and swapping to a 3ph motor, though again at additional cost.

Lots of options! :)
the 1236 will cost you $3698. You have to buy the preferred package and the cast iron stand.

Reactions: Z2V
I just purchased a PM-1127VF-LB. I need to make a stand for it before it is delivered. Can anyone tell me the hole spacing to mount the lathe? The manual on the PM website does not show this information. Thanks

I just purchased a PM-1127VF-LB. I need to make a stand for it before it is delivered. Can anyone tell me the hole spacing to mount the lathe? The manual on the PM website does not show this information. Thanks

Just the bolt pattern? I can measure mine, just got it a couple weeks ago, so it should be the same.

That would be great! I am having a HD stand made and would like the holes pre-drilled. If you were making a stand for this lathe, would you have additional tabletop surface in front or on the sides to set items, or only make it the size of the lathe chip pan?

20180218_123842.jpg

Picture with a tape for scale...

From the headstock side of the chip pan, the foot starts at 2.5" and ends at 12". 1/2" holes at 3" and 11.25". Tailstock foot starts at 41" ends at 48". Bolt hole at 44".

From the front of the chip pan, the headstock foot starts at 4-5/8 ends at 11.5". It's U shaped. The back bolt pattern mirrors the front 6" back, hole center to center.

Tailstock bolts are also 6" apart, mirror of the front. From the pan, 4-5/8 to 11.75" for the foot. I'm sure the pan isn't a precision part, it was just a convenient reference point. It should be enough to make a bench though. Hope it helps and feel free to ask questions if you need more.

As for location and bench size, here's what I did. If I were to do it again, I would place the lathe closer to the front, and make the bench a bit shorter. That's preference, but things to think about.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/designing-a-wood-bench-for-a-lathe.63747/

Back