PM-1127VF-LB

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The PM1127VF-LB, anybody here have one? Looking for some input on this machine. I have not seen it mentioned in any post but the feature list looks really good in my noob opinion. VFD, 1 1/2" spindle bore, QCTP, etc.
Any thoughts?

The PM1127VF-LB, anybody here have one? Looking for some input on this machine. I have not seen it mentioned in any post but the feature list looks really good in my noob opinion. VFD, 1 1/2" spindle bore, QCTP, etc.
Any thoughts?
I've had mine well over a year now and enjoy it very much. It was a easy to get questions answered by Matt at PM. No issues with speed and feed ranges. Just wish it had cam lock type chuck but in my case machine size was a BIG factor; no cam chuck for this model. I trick up most of my machines. Easy to do. There are guys here that have these, sure you'll get more replies.

Hmmm, in the description online it list D1-4 camlock. New feature I guess?

Yes, the D1-4 camlock spindle was a relatively new upgrade. I passed over the PM1127 for my PM1228 for that reason, but
now that it has the D1-4, I probably would have gone for the 1127... (not that there is anything wrong with the PM1228,
but I think you get a bigger bang for your buck with the 1127 in terms of included accessories, mainly the included 4 jaw chuck
and QCTP.)

I like that it has a VFD also. I asked about the availability on this one and the response was "it's a long time out".
I did not ask how long.

I would also look at the 1228VF-LB, only slightly more expensive, similar features and less change gears. It uses a BLDC motor, which works very well in this application. There are extensive postings on this model, a few rough spots to work out, seems typical of this size lathe/price range.
http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1228vf-lb/

If you decided to get the PM1228, the base lathe is only $100 more. The QCTP is another $150 and you can get a
8" 4 jaw chuck for around $180+shipping from Shars. With that you'll get a bigger motor (2hp variable speed DC) an extra 1" swing and
an extra inch on the bed length. I think the PM1228 can go a little slower than the 1127 (50 vs 70 RPM.) The 1127 also comes with a faceplate
not sure what that would cost you.

It all depends on how much you value those different features and how long you want to wait for the 1127.
On Matt's website the PM1228 seems to be in stock currently.

Yes, I believe it is as is the 1236. I have a 1030 ordered but thinking of upgrading before it ships. Need to make up my mind. Buy once, cry once, I just don't have enough tears for 1340 GT

Yeah, I think the 1236 is only $100 more than the 1228 and it comes with an 8" 4 jaw chuck. It is also much heavier than the 1228
which is great for rigidity, but 1200lbs was a little more than I wanted to deal with. Also, the 1228 has the variable speed, but you
could add to the 1236 by adding a VFD and swapping to a 3ph motor, though again at additional cost.

Lots of options! :)

Yep, lots of options. I guess I need to hurry up and make up my mind before the 1030 ships. Leaning strongly toward 1236.

Back