PM-1127VF-LB Lathe vs PM-1228VF-LB Precision Lathe?

I have a bat in the chuck right now, and can't find anything with 1.5 diameter, of course, but I'm measuring 1.54" at the backside opening. The through bore is very coarsely bored, and if properly done could be bored/smoothed out more. Will this cover the measurement you need for the 1228?

Last edited:
I have a bat in the chuck right now, and can't find anything with 1.5 diameter, of course, but I'm measuring 1.54" at the backside opening. The through bore is very coarsely bored, and if properly done could be bored/smoothed out more. Will this cover the measurement you need for the 1128?
Yes! That does nicely. Thank you for your help with that measurement. Now I know what to shoot for in table height.

Sorry to hear that your lathe is infested with bats........ :)

My 1127 does pass a 1.5" bar through the spindle. I can feel it drag a little bit on the way, but it does go through. Can't say for any others, sample size of 1 and all that.. :)

If you could protect the bearings, and run a course cylinder hone through it to smooth the bore you could get a bit more. My very opening before any grooves disrupt the bore is 1.56+

If you could protect the bearings, and run a course cylinder hone through it to smooth the bore you could get a bit more. My very opening before any grooves disrupt the bore is 1.56+

That idea of a cylinder hone sounds like a real good idea to me. Are you referring to the spindle bearings? Why would those bearings be in jeopardy? I believe the spindle runs through the bearings and they are not subject to anything within the spindle tube itself. Of course, it would likely be wise to thoroughly clean out the spindle afterwards anyway, to get out any abrasive material left behind. But I would think that with the chuck being removed beforehand anyway, the only things really in jeopardy would be the change gears. Using cutting fluid would help to keep the abraded material and the abrasive residue from going airborne and going places you don't want it to go.

Heck, now that I am thinking of it, I would like the inside surface of the spindle to be nice and shiny smooth anyway. :)

I just see where cast iron dust from machining can get into a gnats butt hole, I would just make everything as impervious as possible :)

I just see where cast iron dust from machining can get into a gnats butt hole, I would just make everything as impervious as possible :)

Is the spindle made of cast iron? if so, I may have to think a little harder about how to approach the honing idea. Siderosis is probably not very pleasant for the lungs nor the eyes.

Or at least make sure that the metal on the inside of the spindle doesn't go dry during the honing process so little to nothing gets airborne. Of course, I would be wearing a respirator mask and eye protection anyway.

No, the spindle is steel, but you will be using abrasives that will wear, and migrate.

The 1228 has shipped. Tracking shows it showing up on Friday. I am presuming that means showing up at the UPS Freight terminal in Dothan, AL, though. So probably Monday or Tuesday before it gets moved from the UPS truck into the wife's pickup truck and then into the garage. Shipment weight is showing 695 lbs. The lathe must have gained weight since the manual shows the bare machine weight as being 490 lbs.

I am waiting for a new work table with adjustable height that is ALSO supposed to be showing up on Friday. This one is coming via Pilot Freight Services, which has it's closest terminal in Jacksonville, FL.

Should be interesting trying to juggle things if I need to pick up BOTH of them on the same day.

Back