PM-1127VF-LB Lathe vs PM-1228VF-LB Precision Lathe?

The original belt is made in China, it kept slipping, and I kept tightening. I have seen other new owners comment on this to, as well as Precision Matthews.
The safety lock was probably drilled, and secured on ether side just enough off it did not make contact. PM pre runs the lathes, and probably puts a fake in the switch to see operations.

Seems the general consensus is to have the chuck center height about the same as your elbows from the floor? Don't know, guess that will vary with the individual.

Seems the general consensus is to have the chuck center height about the same as your elbows from the floor? Don't know, guess that will vary with the individual.

I was able to find one YouTube video on this subject:

Sounds reasonable to me. So I guess this optimum height will vary with each person.

Heck, I just ordered another work table with adjustable height. https://www.samsclub.com/p/72-inch-workbench-height-adjustable/prod22000197

That way I can adjust it to where it feels most comfortable. The wife says she can find a use for the fixed height table somewhere.

The original belt is made in China, it kept slipping, and I kept tightening. I have seen other new owners comment on this to, as well as Precision Matthews.
The safety lock was probably drilled, and secured on ether side just enough off it did not make contact. PM pre runs the lathes, and probably puts a fake in the switch to see operations.

So was the defective Chinese made belt considered as a warranty replacement item by PM? Seems to me that if it is such a notable problem that it would have been replaced before being shipped out to the customer.

It worked as delivered, I thing the belt is a wear item that the owner is/should be responsible for. If all you do is light duty operations it might last, I was cutting cast iron, as well as 4130 checking tooling, and depth of cuts it would tolerate.

It worked as delivered, I thing the belt is a wear item that the owner is/should be responsible for. If all you do is light duty operations it might last, I was cutting cast iron, as well as 4130 checking tooling, and depth of cuts it would tolerate.

OK, I understand. Did you buy the replacement belt from PM, or did you have to track it down elsewhere via a part number for it? I see in the manual that it is indicated as " O-838 Vee belt". Was that sufficient to tracking down a replacement?

I just took the old belt to NAPA, and got the new one.

Can anyone with a PM 1228 lathe measure from the center of the cross slide handle dial down to the chip pan for me? I would like to have an idea of what height I need to set the work table when it comes in. I would ask PM, but I believe that they are pretty busy right about now.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the 1.5" through bore on the 1127 or 1228, but if you want to use 1.5" rod it may not fit.

On my PM1236, 1.5" rod will only fit through the chuck. The through bore measurement on my lathe is actually 1.5", so only less than that will pass through. Most other lathe I've dealt with are slightly over sized relative to the bore specification, so be sure to get an answer to this question if it's an important feature.

I'm not familiar with the 1.5" through bore on the 1127 or 1228, but if you want to use 1.5" rod it may not fit.

On my PM1236, 1.5" rod will only fit through the chuck. The through bore measurement on my lathe is actually 1.5", so only less than that will pass through. Most other lathe I've dealt with are slightly over sized relative to the bore specification, so be sure to get an answer to this question if it's an important feature.

Yeah, that is a very good point. Perhaps someone with one of those lathes will be able to answer that question? I know I have a bunch of aluminum rods of various diameters I bought years ago, some of which are 1.5".

I know the Chinesium lathe I bought (and returned) off of Ebay was advertised as having a 1.5" spindle bore, and those 1.5" rods would not fit through it. But I just wrote it off as being one of the MANY things wrong with that particular lathe.

Back