Pm 1022 V

I got my 1030V mounted on the stand that I built for it today and started to get everything cleaned up. I am attaching a few pictures of the stand and lathe. The stand seems to work very well at this point and supports the lathe at a good height for me. The stand has a frame made of 2"x2"x1/8" tube, extended feet of 3"x3"x1/8" tube and a 1/4" plate steel top. I put 220 lb rated casters on it as well as 250 lb rated load levelers. When the assembly is in position, the load levelers will raise the casters off the floor. Hopefully tomorrow I can start playing around a little bit.

Jon

uploadfromtaptalk1445896297150.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445896373241.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445896440644.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Wow! Beautiful stand and lathe. Nice job and thanks for the pictures.

All you need to do is take that plug that is laying on the top and plug it into that receptacle right behind it.........

Was it that clean when it arrived or did it take some time to clean it up?

That's before I started cleaning. It has a light coat of oil/light grease on the non-painted areas that wipes off fairly easy. The only problem is the sheer area that needs to be cleaned. I did run it a little to check it out but playing with it before cleaning makes a mess!!

Jon

I like your stand Jon, it looks like you got the color really close. I just set mine on my 2'x5' welding table, it's not painted and no wheels, just levelers. It will have to do for now.

My crate looked to be in pretty good condition but one bolt in the top had come loose and it let the chip tray hang down so the steady rest could bang it up some, a little touch up paint in a few places will correct the rest. (I have no doubt Matt will make that right, I haven't even had time to email him yet.) What I can tell so far is the 1030V looks to be a really clean built machine, I like what I see.

The lathe was pretty clean and only took a couple of hours to have it ready to set on the stand. I am very happy with look and feel, not to mention the "Heft" of the 1030, three of us put it on the stand, it is pretty heavy for its size.

I'm going to read up tonight and get it up and running tomorrow. I'm pleased so far. More to follow as it happens.

Last edited:
Any more updates on your first impressions? Curious as to how it runs, noise level, and accuracy.

I have only started working with the lathe at this time. I can say that noise level is very low (far quieter than any of my woodworking equipment), a quick runout check on the outer rim of the 3 jaw chuck is +/- .002 and there is virtually no vibration. I will follow up with more info as I use it more.

Jon

It turned off cold and rainy here and other projects have gotten in the way on my end. I need to do a spindle break in and change the oil out over the weekend if time allows.

The 1030 is most definitely more machine than the mini lathes by x4+. Having been around a few minis, a few older small US lathes, a couple of 9x19s then a few large lathes the PM1030V should be "Just Right" for my needs. Now if the 3/4 size BP clone comes thru I'm set for life. If not it's back to Matt for a mill. Either way I win.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear it is quiet. I guess I should re-title this post at PM 1030V. Don't know if you saw my other post, but considering a very nice Atlas 12 x 36 as an alternative to the PM 1030-V. Anyone have any observations or recommendations of one over the other?

Well as a novice in the matter I have one question, will the 10x30 do all you need or will you be able to take advantage of the larger lathe? Just a thought. I'm sure both have their strong points.

Back