Please Help with British oil Fitting

One other thing to consider is that the threads (I think there are threads, picture's a bit fuzzy) on the fittings are probably BSP threads. BSP is very similar to NPT except the thread form is a bit different and the pitch is maddeningly just a little different too. So, for example, a 1/4 " NPT fitting is nominally 9/16-18 while the 1/4" BSP fitting is nominally 9/16-19 and, as mentioned, the thread form is a bit different as well. For as few threads as are showing (I think) it probably isn't a problem interchanging systems. That is, it'll probably go together, but it's a good thing to be aware of if the new fitting just won't go in or doesn't seem to seal properly.

Thanks Ed T,
The threads do look a little unusual, I'll check it out. Fortunately I think I have all the fittings. I finished the cleaning parts tonight and just have a few small parts to paint. Tomorrow reassembly begins! Sorry again about the picture quality but I've got that problem solved. Tomorrow I'll figure out if my grease gun is good for oil too.
Michael

Thanks All,
Today I ordered a Swiss made oil gun from UK Lathe Spares. It will fit the raised nipple fittings on my Cromwell and look good also. Looking at that site has caused me to realize that I don't have the correct oiling equipment for my Collchester Student. The oil fittings are spring and ball and I always thought that they were just difficult to get oil into. I used an awl to depress the ball while I pumped the oil in. Now I realize that there is a special fitting for the oil gun which allows you to press the gun onto the fitting and pressure feed the oil in. I'll make a fitting for the gun when it arrives to allow it to work on both lathes.
Michael

Back