Picking a lathe

Well today I made significant progress in picking my lathe. Believe it or not I found it on offer up. Made arrangements to see it early this morning. And Tom White on this forum graciously volunteered to go with me. He brought some inspection tools and a 1.5 dia steel bar to run a test cut. I will pick it up a week from today.
Enough suspense. Its a Clausing mod 5907. Hydraulic system was low. Once topped off it runs nice. Ways are perfect.
This model is a 1 horsepower 3 phase. Like any second hand lathe it's in need of some TLC. But not much. The lathe didn't even flinch when Tom made a heavy cut with a HSS lathe bit. Pictures coming as soon as I get it home.
Mike

Well today I made significant progress in picking my lathe. Believe it or not I found it on offer up. Made arrangements to see it early this morning. And Tom White on this forum graciously volunteered to go with me. He brought some inspection tools and a 1.5 dia steel bar to run a test cut. I will pick it up a week from today.
Enough suspense. Its a Clausing mod 5907. Hydraulic system was low. Once topped off it runs nice. Ways are perfect.
This model is a 1 horsepower 3 phase. Like any second hand lathe it's in need of some TLC. But not much. The lathe didn't even flinch when Tom made a heavy cut with a HSS lathe bit. Pictures coming as soon as I get it home.
Mike

This lathe is a much better fit in Mikes small shop space. The larger ones would be very nice to have. Unfortunately I think they would overwhelm his shop. For what I understand he wants to accomplish this is more than sufficient. It peeled off .100 on diameter with a less than optimal tool. It did not even hesitate and a good solid finish. Everything was nice and tight no slop on any part. Cross slide had a bit of back lash .030 or so. Easy fix if Mike finds it annoying. Compound .015 range. Ways in exceptional shape considering it is pushing 60 years. No visible wear or feel of wear.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Pictures coming as soon as I get it home.
It didn't happen unless we see them . Congrats on the Clausing . Does the 5907 have the clutch ? I sold a 5917 ? that did not . I'm in the the market for another but nothing around here lately .

I'm not sure if it has a clutch. No brake.

Found it on OfferUp. That's a nice looking machine, for a great price. I think you did well! That machine looks like an excellent size for garage use. I'm jealous! BTW, Gardena is just around the corner from me. Had a similar machine come up when I was shopping, it would have been mine!

Found it on OfferUp. That's a nice looking machine, for a great price. I think you did well! That machine looks like an excellent size for garage use. I'm jealous! BTW, Gardena is just around the corner from me. Had a similar machine come up when I was shopping, it would have been mine!
I talked him down to 1,500. As the cross slide feed is not working. That should be an easy fix.

Back