Picking a lathe

Oldseabee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for a new to me lathe. So far in the running is a Clausing 5914. The. A Takasawa 800 deluxe an then a Monarch 10ee. i know the Monarch is the best of the 3. But at $5,000 over my pocket book .
The Clausing was originally purchased by Calstate Hayard comes with 3 chucks and runs ok, asking price is $1,300. . The Takasawa 800 I have seen run and its nice. $3,000 but may go down to $2,500. It's not been beat up
The Clausing has sat for 10 years in a garage not running.
I think the Takasawa is by far the best between it and the Clausing. Any owners of a Takasawa out there? Opinions are helpful .
Mike

I don't have one but I'd go with the Takasawa in a heartbeat....

John

There are a few here with Takasawas, I think MrWhoopee has one.

You might add Takasawa to your title to attract attention to the post if you want to get opinions from owners.

At $2500-3000 I suspect you will not have much time to decide. They don't seem very common, and have a good reputation.

Takisawa if it is in good shape, best of the bunch for practical use.

The only downside to the Tak is if you need to find things like the steady or follow rest....not easy to find.

The Takasawa also comes with a steady rest.

I have a SB Heavy 10, @Winegrower has a Takisawa. A 10ee is a steal at $5k, but at that price I'd be wondering about the condition of the electronics. If we take it out of the running, then it's the Takisawa, hands down.

Mr Whoopee. I also just got offered a really nicely equipped Wade 8 a. The only thing it doesn't have is a taper attachment which I would never use anyway. And thr price of $2,500. Plus shipping. This one was hardly used. Came out of a musical instrument factory. That was # 1 one my want list or a Rivitte 608 model. This one us not War surplus. Now the pondering really starts. I really do appreciate all the advice. The only thing the Wade needs is a paint job.

Back