Perfection-precision

There is a beginning and an end, in between is a learning journey. It starts with a desire and progresses till a point is reached that you feel comfortable. Some take a long time to get to what-ever is waiting. At 62, you have time. I am a firm believer that it is in the blood of the real pros. Remember this, if you get to a point that you don't like what you are doing, you have reached an early end. All my working life I enjoyed what I did --- machinist. Some days were worse than others but there were no bad ones to speak of. Go for it my friend, you will know soon enough if it is for you. Above all have fun.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never considered myself to be a "perfectionist", but I always try to do my best. I've been called a perfectionist many times, but I dislike that term, because perfection is all relative. There are tolerances in every trade and field of endeavor. Perfection is a waste of time because it can never be attained absolutely, so we have to settle on precision.

In business there is always a line that must be drawn between Precision Vs. Making money. How much are people willing to pay for a certain amount of precision? That's a real decision that has to be made, because precision is expensive.

In personal endeavors, such as Hobby Machining we can take the precision to a higher level, because we're not trying to pay the bills. But there too, there comes a point when unnecessary precision can quickly turn a fun project into an exercise in tedium. Acceptable tolerances is the name of the game IMO.

Marcel

Some years ago, when I started my re-acquaintance with shop work I learned some valuable things. I started-out learning machine work at a very early age (about 6 y/o believe it or not) and did all kinds of work in my father's machine shop till I was 20 when I moved out. He had good equipment... Heck, I thought everyone had a 4,000lb Leblond in their garage shop... Moving forward 25 years, I go out and buy a simple used lathe to setup in my garage. Much to my surprise... What, this thing can't take off 0.1" in one shot? What, this thing wanders all over heaven and hell? What, this thing slows down when you take a cut? What, the leadscrew shifts position when you cut a thread? What, the tailstock doesn't lock-up twice the same way? -The list goes on...

I seriously thought I flipped my wig because I struggled to cut a straight shaft that I could do easily in times prior. Bingo, light bulb goes on... I realized how limited/inadequate my equipment was.

... If you think you're doing things right -and especially if two of the same carefully executed operations produce weird results then, before you start questioning your sanity, start questioning your equipment. Look and observe closely what's going on. Observe your technique and if that passes the smell test, start looking at the equipment. Problems can come from anywhere.

Ray

Reading all our replies to mf294-4s post, I feel better about all the stupid mistakes I've been making lately.
And I've found exactly where I went wrong on most of em which also makes me feel good.

Perfection-precision is a form of enlightenment.On the path towards enlightenment you chop a lot of wood and carry a lot of water. Then one day you realize you have reached it. The thing you worked so hard for is yours.Then you go back to chopping wood and carrying water and look for a new goal.
It ain't the destination it's the journey that matters.
********Just Saying**********G**********

OMG, I am an autodidact! Will they put me in jail for that?

My neighbor came over to visit and said I was an autodidact! I really didn't know what that was
so looked it up on the computer. It means that the skills obtained are self taught. Well, that's
true enough in my case as I hauled home a big lathe and had never run one. Now I can say I
am relatively proficient at most operations. As far as perfection and precision, I have a ways to
go. First of all, I don't think perfection exists really. Precision I can work on and have to admit
that I have made some strides. All I have to do is look at some of the junky stuff I have made
in the past. There are a few pieces stowed away in the shop to constantly remind me of that.
Some of precision comes from the tools we have to work with. I found that once I started using
dial indicators and then digital readouts, my level of precision increased a lot. I tend to eyeball
stuff when precision is not required. Is this a good thing? It certainly makes a job quicker but
if I needed two of the same part, well.....using the eyeball method, they wouldn't measure out the
same. Back to the neighbor. His plastic garage door pulley broke in half and he stopped by to
ask for help. He watched by as I installed a piece of cold roll in the lathe and proceeded to machine
out a pulley using the eyeball method. It took less than five minutes and actually looked pretty
good if I say so myself. That's when he called me an AUTODIDACT! It's all a lot of fun and it's
a hobby we all can enjoy and become better at what we do. Machine on folks!!

Last edited:
Re: OMG, I am an autodidact! Will they put me in jail for that?

My neighbor came over to visit and said I was an autodidact! I really didn't know what that was
so looked it up on the computer. It means that the skills obtained are self taught. Well, that's
true enough in my case as I hauled home a big lathe and had never run one. ..........................That's when he called me an AUTODIDACT! It's all a lot of fun and it's
a hobby we all can enjoy and become better at what we do. Machine on folks!!
I guess I'm one of those Autodidacts too. I've taught myself the bulk of my skills in many areas. I'm a very visual learner. If I watch someone do something or investigate how it's made, I might ask a few questions, then I can pretty much do it and hone my skills privately in my shop or on the job. If I need a bit of technical info, I'll grab a book on the subject, or watch a YouTube video. I've learned to be a pretty good auto mechanic, autobody/paint, welder, machinist, carpenter and electrician/plumber. I've taught myself how to read blueprints of all types and plumbing/hydraulic/electrical schematics too by this dogged determination to learn how to do it.

YouTube has proven to be invaluable for a guy like me, i get to choose which master is gonna show me something today! Back in the day, I'd have to go hang around someones shop/job sight for a while, and make myself useful, so as not to irritate them too much.:lmao:

Marcel

Autodidact, s.m. - someone who used his own automobile to attend primary school.

(just kidding!!! I'm an autodidact in many fields, too!)

Perfection --- I want to do everything perfect, even when I don't know how. Perfection will never be reached by any of us. It's just out of reach every time.

Precision is a whole different game. You hold the tolerances and you win. It's simple. It is something that is learned. Yes, in some it is a natural thing but the higher percentage of us learn it. Even the naturals get better as they go along.

"Billy G"

Every time I get to my goal,I find someone has shifted the goal post's. and that seem's to be the same in any part of life.

Brian.

Back