Parting Poll

What is your preferred tool for parting on the lathe?

• HSS bit ground to blade tip profile

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • HSS blade held in parting tool holder

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Carbide insert blade held in parting tool holder

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Blade held in auxillary tool holder to allow for wider blade

• Forget tooling - I beat it with a hacksaw until it lets go!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use a HSS tapered parting tool in dedicated tool holder, upside down and running in reverse with drips of cutting oil. Works well on my 7x12 Seig clone both Steel and Aluminium so far. (Ha spell check, I'm an Ozzie :congratulate:;) so that's correct for me as it is for the UK.)

HSS tool in holder or carbide tool in holder.

Careful set up -
  • tool is perpendicular to the part
  • tool height is half a bees dick below centre height
and remember that the faint heart never won the fair maiden, the final requirement is commitment -
  • turn that handle, feel what's happening, fine adjust cross feed to suit and keep going until its all over.
pete

I can't vote cause my choices are not listed....

My main go to tools for parting are Manchester Seperator inserts, pictured on the left. Very free cutting & the inserts folds the chip so they evacuate the groove nicely. Only good for about Ø1.25" though. I'm also a big fan of Nikcole Mini Systems. I use them mainly for grooving though but for very small diameters I do use them for parting. The second to last is a Iscar parting blade with a GFN 1.6mm insert & the last one is a GTN2 insert. I pretty much never use these. I hate GTN inserts.

Anything bigger & I just use the bandsaw. In fact I prefer to use the bandsaw whenever possible.

Same here. HSS works great for me on the lathe at work, but my home machine isn't quite rigid enough to do a good job. The grooving tools work great, though. I'm not sure why, but they must be sharper or at a better angle because they work fine. Anything larger than 1 1/2" and I use the band saw as well.

GG

Need to add a category to your list. "All of the above"

Back