Parting Poll

What is your preferred tool for parting on the lathe?

• HSS bit ground to blade tip profile

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • HSS blade held in parting tool holder

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Carbide insert blade held in parting tool holder

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Blade held in auxillary tool holder to allow for wider blade

• Forget tooling - I beat it with a hacksaw until it lets go!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Wreck, I'm close to you. I used to work in Riverton . Everworth had a shop just off the highway . Way back in the 70 s. Herb North owned it . Did work for us pipe and the steel mill . I remember those 72 hour weeks. After a few months your a zombie yep I remember them well. Would those tools work on a planer ? If you think so I'd like one if you have enough.

Thank you for the offer WreckWreck but the tools you have sound much too large for any home shop size machine to be able to make use of. Hopefully they will find a good home someday & get used.

Hi Wreck, I'm close to you. I used to work in Riverton . Everworth had a shop just off the highway . Way back in the 70 s. Herb North owned it . Did work for us pipe and the steel mill . I remember those 72 hour weeks. After a few months your a zombie yep I remember them well. Would those tools work on a planer ? If you think so I'd like one if you have enough.
Doubtful, all turning tools with specialized uses, 2" round shanks as well. I have worked in machine shops for 30 years and have never seen a planer in use. I do on occasion use a Morrison key seater which is the same process yet only for internal keyseats.

Crude but effective, Morrison does have an interesting method of advancing the DOC however.

I use either a GTN-2 or GTN-3 in the appropriate holder, use HSS with a tapered side blade (grind and stone before every use), use a MGMN 300 and 200 grooving tool like the one pictured below. Band saw also if it's a big round.

Bruce

upload_2017-3-5_7-45-36.png

I use an aux holder so I can use a bigger blade. I found the biggest aid to parting is to eliminate the compound. I had an old 11 inch Logan that would part steel with at best 50/50 success rate. I eliminated the compound and it parted steel with no problems. I also eliminated the the compound on my G4003G Grizzly. That machine already parted well but without the compound it slices steel like butter at 200 rpm hand fed about as fast as I can go.

LOGAN TOOL HOLDER.JPG DSC_0825.JPG

Back