[How do I?] Parting Blade Help

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I purchased a new P2N blade (5/32" at the top), I sharpened it, I squared everything up, I locked my carriage, and I slowed the spindle speed waaaaay down and it parted like a hot knife through butter. In retrospect I think the biggest problem was my unreasonable spindle speed, combined with the extremely thin base of the parting blase (0.012") that just couldn't handle the shocks at that high spindle speed. The more you know....

Thanks everyone!

I think that you are using a "t" style parting blade in an angle top parting tool holder. maybe wrong though. also look at the angle ground on the front of the parting tool with the angle built into the holder you need to make sure the top edge is hitting and not further down. can put a large pressure load on the blade with the cross slide feed screw. also the parting tools hss have a long taper built in them the cutting edge you are supposed to use will be wider than the back end gives you some clearance as you feed in. so unless you check it with a mic don't turn it around bill

This sounds like what you need just looking at it shows what's happening with your blades rigidity problem.

I agree with those who say the base of that blade is just too thin. Obviously the stress was far too much for that thin metal base. I can't imagine the ?thinking? behind the design of that blade, unless it was meant to precisely fit a holder designed specifically for it? I measured an HSS parting tool that came with my (same type) toolholder, and there is no relief to the sides at all.

I've noticed that ALOT here. You look under new posts and you answer only to find its three years old . I think they need there own spot. Like
Reposted post. Just my thoughts.

Some new members here with a lot of knowledge and experience they wish to share. I suspect they are not checking the dates of the threads but that's okay - the info provided is still valuable. It will settle down with time.

Some new members here with a lot of knowledge and experience they wish to share. I suspect they are not checking the dates of the threads but that's okay - the info provided is still valuable. It will settle down with time.
YUPP I know it will . But most don't look at the date me included. I don't know how to fix it but it seems like a trap.

It doesn't hurt a thing, and new members just browsing might be having some sort of trouble and an old topic with a new comment might be just what they need. At times, searches fail to bring up all the best threads also, so something might just pop up out of nowhere that is needed.

Back