Parker Majestic #2 surface grinder

Dave , for a SG finish that looks like a plowed field . ( Not a dig ) You'll be amazed at the finish you'll get with the correct , dressed wheel . :encourage: If you need a dresser and diamond until you get yours lemme know .

Thanks Dave, I should have one here on Wednesday according to FedEx.

Are you sparking out? It looks like your stepping over in narrow increments this can deteriorate the edge of the wheel into an angle.
You will have a blast learning to grind!
How are you doing on a vacuum?

This was very small step over. I was trying to get a better finish than my first attempt.
If by sparking out you mean did the sparks stop, then yes I did.
All of this is just playing around, trying to get a feel for the machine.
I had my shop vac and dust deputy cyclone hooked up to it today work pretty well actually.

This was very small step over. I was trying to get a better finish than my first attempt.
If by sparking out you mean did the sparks stop, then yes I did.
All of this is just playing around, trying to get a feel for the machine.
I had my shop vac and dust deputy cyclone hooked up to it today work pretty well actually.
I am glad you are making great headway.
You have to practice to learn.

I agree with the practice. I bought a grinder earlier this year and have been down this same path David. I have tried 5 different wheels and one of them works much better for me.
Do you have a way to measure your depth of cut? I have an indicator mounted on mine.
Joe
Screenshot_20201224-080739_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20200926_104542.jpg
    20200926_104542.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 156
I agree with the practice. I bought a grinder earlier this year and have been down this same path David. I have tried 5 different wheels and one of them works much better for me.
Do you have a way to measure your depth of cut? I have an indicator mounted on mine.
Joe
View attachment 348482

I don’t have an indicator to measure depth of cut. So far I’ve relied the hand wheel vernier. One revolution of the handwheel moves the spindle .050" with direct reading of .0001". But I can see how an indicator would be useful.
What wheel finally worked best for you?

I was using the hand wheel also but because of the backlash in all the moving parts it wasn't very predictable. I now move the wheel down really close and place the indicator on it. Then I can see exactly how far its moving. I get good results with a 0005" depth of cut. I can adjust the amounts of step over for roughing and finishing.
I have had good luck with the CGW 46H wheel. This is only my opinion and will probably get bashed for even saying it.
Check out Solid Rock Machine shop on u tube. He has a great video about wheel selection.
Joe
Screenshot_20201224-112115_eBay.jpg

All manual machines that dont have ball screws, the procedure is to go opposite of your feed direction then reverse into cutting/grinding this load the screw and you set your zero with the floating dial then the numbers on the hand wheel will be accurate

That is tough to do with a vertical head. You lift the head to raise it a little then you have to lower into the work. This puts the backlash on the wrong side.

Joe

Back