Oxyacetylene Cart Build

Here is my stripping setup. The purple, 60 grit poly-strip discs are working fine for this.

Regardless of which welding process I am to use, I always remove all of the mill scale for anything other than a practice piece.

0FE28F45-5F0C-494F-83C6-D55B883F7226.jpeg

The red rims arrived. I bought them on the internet & the company sent the wrong part. I ordered 26” rims & they sent 27” rims which would never work with the tires that I have.

I will call the company tomorrow and initiate a return.

It turns out that they *did* ship the correct sized rims. The *problem was* that the inspector’s sticker (see photo) said “27”. This confused me because I ordered 26” rims, & the “27” sticker on the rim led me to believe that they had shipped 27” rims.

image.jpg

The next problem I encountered is that I felt like the hues of red on the tire & rim clashed (see photo). Maybe I am being too picky, but I went down and bought 2 black rims from the local bike shop (total cost $56.50). The bonus I will get from this is that I can compare the sizes of the black rims when they come in to the red rims that I have here, & be assured that the tires will fit the rims before I take 4 hours building the wheels.

Does this not clash?

image.jpg

It turns out that they *did* ship the correct sized rims. The *problem was* that the inspector’s sticker (see photo) said “27”. This confused me because I ordered 26” rims, & the “27” sticker on the rim led me to believe that they had shipped 27” rims.

View attachment 427191

The next problem I encountered is that I felt like the hues of red on the tire & rim clashed (see photo). Maybe I am being too picky, but I went down and bought 2 black rims from the local bike shop (total cost $56.50). The bonus I will get from this is that I can compare the sizes of the black rims when they come in to the red rims that I have here, & be assured that the tires will fit the rims before I take 4 hours building the wheels.

Does this not clash?

View attachment 427192
They look pretty unattractive against each other. Better to have a different color on one of the items for contrast.

Oh My Gawd, Erica, like it'd be soooo embarrassing to be seen with those wheels on your welding cart at the mall. I am so gonna have to like, pretend that I don't know you, or something, because, like, you know, right? All my friends have contrasting colors. And my daddy bought me a cart with plastic wheels. Like, who runs pneumatics? Totally.

Hey, I know a product that turns red rims black for pretty cheap. It's called Krylon!

And I think somewhere in this rashard of carp I'm dishing you, I realized why my dad wanted the training wheels off my bike so badly before I was ready to be done with them. He probably needed a welding cart.

Oh My Gawd, Erica, like it'd be soooo embarrassing to be seen with those wheels on your welding cart at the mall. I am so gonna have to like, pretend that I don't know you, or something, because, like, you know, right? All my friends have contrasting colors. And my daddy bought me a cart with plastic wheels. Like, who runs pneumatics? Totally.

Hey, I know a product that turns red rims black for pretty cheap. It's called Krylon!

And I think somewhere in this rashard of carp I'm dishing you, I realized why my dad wanted the training wheels off my bike so badly before I was ready to be done with them. He probably needed a welding cart.
Funny, you laid it on thick! Whatever you have been having, I need some of it, you are on the jazz.

If it was me, I would have found an old bike and cannibalized it. Simple and good enough.

Erik, I'd just paint the rims at this point, a can of spray paint is fast and easy.

I know my welding cart has wheels, but that's about as far as I care.

I fabricated an extension for a Harbor Freight tool cart for my welding tanks:

For O/A bottles I use an HF cart with ~18" spoked wheels:

I fabricated an extension for a Harbor Freight tool cart for my welding tanks:

For O/A bottles I use an HF cart with ~18" spoked wheels:
The second one, is what I have. Except for the propensity for the tires to go flat, it's fine. One day, I'll get solid rims.

Back