Oxyacetylene Cart Build

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This is a continuation of this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/your-ideas-for-a-shop-made-o-a-hand-truck.102754/

I am underway with this build. This morning my Dad & I torch cut many lengths of 3/32” wall, 1” square tubing. The material is the common structural steel that you get from the steel yard.

I am going to side mill all of these to consistent lengths. I am new to torch cutting, so my cuts are pretty horrendous.

AE9835E3-E206-494A-9480-D778DF38E2EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Something interesting happened while I was side milling on the knee mill. I have a solid carbide 1” endmill in an EMH at 700 RPM. I had the X- and Z- axes locked, using a power feed (about 12 ipm) in the Y-axis making a .100” cut.

While I was watching the action, the endmill started to get pulled down! I immediately turned off the machine. This happened because I didn’t have the quill locked! Lesson learned.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Be carefully with depth of cut, the sides will bend like a pretzel.

Carbide mill can go real fast, faster cutter with shallow cuts may get it done better, sneak up on what works well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was able to finish the side milling before I had to leave for work.

19C031A1-98A3-4F2B-9C39-64E93BF03C51.jpeg

6A14859C-9172-4DF6-9CB6-0FFE402C31EF.jpeg

Tomorrow I will use poly-strip discs to get off all of the mill scale because I plan to clearcoat this cart.

image.jpg

Be carefully with depth of cut, the sides will bend like a pretzel.

Carbide mill can go real fast, faster cutter with shallow cuts may get it done better, sneak up on what works well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was roughing at .085”-.100”, trimming at about .040”, & then a final pass at .005” to get an okay finish. There were no spring passes today.

That's a good way to force in some practice, setting limitations like that. Otherwise, you wouldn't get some torch practice in. Sure, a cold saw is fast, band saw is clean, and an abrasive saw is dirty and messy fast too, but where's the branching out? O/A cart means O/A cuts, and now you've added more O/A skill. It's like poetry.

The solid (i.e. flat-proof) tires arrived. I have these (Tannus) tires on one of my bikes, & it is very nice knowing that you will never get a flat tire.

Those colored clips are used for clipping the tire to the rim. The different colors signify different widths. The range of what “clip width” will work is only a few mm. I have installed these before on a rim, and it is a bit of a fight to get in every clip.

Like I said in the other thread, I chose red to create & maintain an awareness of safety.

F400324E-E70D-423C-B218-22FBB65E0BD2.jpeg

Back