Overhead doors...

I'm replacing my residential wood tilt up doors soon with rollups - a standard single car and a double. Youtube made it look easy enough, and I'll have my boys home to help me. I say do it yourself and save the money for another project.

I watched a video, and it didn't look too hard. I have access to a forklift and scissor lift. If it was just a matter of paying him to put them up, I'd shrug and pay it. But since he's also charging more for the doors, it makes me think about doing it myself. Could buy a lot of toys... uh I mean tools, with $2400....

If you have access to the tools and extra hands then why not, the lifts are a big deal for getting it done safely and if they're already onsite go for it. Just be safe.

John

Thanks everyone. Interesting development: I have a copy of the quote the door guy gave the building contractor. I also asked the builder if it would be cheaper for me to contract for the doors myself. (When I built my house, my builder told me to save money I should contact the landscaper of my choice rather than have him do it. He was just going to hire a landscaper and charge me 10% for oversight & coordination.) He said yes, that would be fine and that he charges a 5% over what the door subcontractor costs.
So I contacted the door contractor. Not only do I save what the building contractor was going to charge for supervising, the door contractor's estimate to me was $1500 less than what he was going to charge the builder. Anyhow, now it makes more sense to me to just have him do it.

Alot of gouging going on there. Sadly, most contractors don't shop prices around. The higher price just means he makes more money off the homeowner for doing very little.

A friend of mine just had his retirement home built. He did all the coordination and contracting of the different contractors under someone elses license. Saved him a huge amount of money in the process.

I am glad I had my 14x12 door installed by a real overhead door crew. Came out perfect, everything true and square. I don't have any friends who would be able to provide useful help, let alone one to give up a weekend to deal with it. Nope, I just went to work in the morning, came home in the afternoon to a swept and secured shop, and marveled at how smooth the new door worked. It has a warranty and a local brick-and-mortar business I can call if anything goes out of whack with it.

$1500 !!! That's great !! That $ can go for other things ,

$1500 !!! That's great !! That $ can go for other things ,

Lol, I give my friends a hard time about their boat. But I have no room to talk. I've already mentally spent every extra cent for the next several years.

Back