Overhead doors...

ArmyDoc

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any experience with installing overhead insulated panel doors? How hard is it?
I can get the doors for ~$400 less than the installer is quoting on line, and his installation fee os another $400.
If I can do it myself with my sons help it'd make a big difference...

What size door?
How many panels?

Don't know what your skills are. Weight is a significant factor. If the panels are not too heavy for you to manage, the mechanics are simple enough.
If they use torsion spring balancers, those can be deadly so know what you're doing or get a pro.

If you follow the directions it's not that hard, but as said above, the torsion springs need to be respected. I did my 9x12 & 10x12 by my self. I have a back round in the building trades, but I think the average guy could get it done. Square, plumb, and level are the main things to keep in mind. Mike

So, $800 to have it done right and not have to deal with the torsion springs? What percentage is that of the total project?

John

The doors going up in my shop are 12x12 and in 4 sections with a ton of parts. Not light by any means. Glad I am not doing it.

So, $800 to have it done right and not have to deal with the torsion springs? What percentage is that of the total project?
800 per door x 3 doors... 2400 total. Doors are about 10% of the total cost of the project if I have them done, savings is only about 3% of project total.

John

Garage doors are super easy to install. If replacing a door the track goes in the same spot as existing ones. Read instructions pretty good at explaining. Torsion springs come in a prepackaged unit. Screw to wall and they have a worm drive that loads springs. Dangerous in the fact your loading a spring but pretty safe if you follow the instructions. Panels are light compared to the solid panels of the past. Stack them and screw together Maybe a two person job if 16 foot panels. I’d come over and do for 400 bucks easy money.

I did my own garage door, it isn't hard. Just follow the instructions. I recommend watching a couple of YouTube videos on it and you can see some of the tricks. An extra pair of hands can make stacking the panels easier, depending on the material they can get a little heavy, but it is mostly that they are 2"x width of opening.

Once you have seen it, following the instructions is much easier.

I watched a video, and it didn't look too hard. I have access to a forklift and scissor lift. If it was just a matter of paying him to put them up, I'd shrug and pay it. But since he's also charging more for the doors, it makes me think about doing it myself. Could buy a lot of toys... uh I mean tools, with $2400....

Back