Outside Welding Area

Watched the video... pretty cool!

I wanted to buy an extension cord but I'm too cheap. I had 20' of outdoor overhead 6 gauge that I put plugs on both ends. That gets the welder about 6 feet out the shop door. It's not ideal, but I weld approximately once every four years, so it should be fine for several decades.

I've run my welders, plasma, and compressor on extension cords for years. I made them out of good wire and hardware store plugs and receptacles. Never had any problem, even when I ran my shop out of a cargo container on 75' of cord. Now, I have my big boy's shop wired for sound, so I only need one if I'm working on a trailer outside or something. Get the wire to carry your real-world amperage and you'll be fine.

Your outdoor setup will be much healthier for you and your equipment. Use your welding screens as barriers against wind and those fire-starting ballies. You'll be able to work year-round in Santa Rosa's climate. I think it is a great idea, and I still prefer to be outside or as close to a roll-up door as possible when I weld and grind.

Even though I don’t have any money right now, I was looking around for 50’ extension cords. This one is the best deal that I have found so far:

It has three copper 6 gauge wires in it. 6 gauge is sure to stay cool at 230V, 50A.

The second cheapest extension cords have 8 gauge wires for the same price; 8 gauge is also okay for 50A.

This thread needs this wire size calculator:

In particular, this calculator:

Using this calculator above, I would choose 6 gauge wire for 220V welding 50’ from the outlet, this for cool temps & minimal voltage drop.

Last edited:
6 or 8 gage on the cord, I do my arc welding outside mostly and the tig stuff inside. We're rural so no worry about the neighbors

Back