Outside Welding Area

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My shop is going to get overly crowded in 2 months. I think I need to move my welding table outside (side yard just outside my garage). My welding table is a well worn Miller Arc Station on casters (the casters are able to be locked). I would cover this welding table with a tarp.

All of my welding machines are on carts, & they would live in the garage. I would roll the welding cart out to the side yard while it was in use. I would never leave a welding cart outside overnight.

If I were to arc weld (as opposed to gas weld) outside, I would need a 220V extension cord. I would not want to use longer leads because I fiddle with my machine settings a lot.

One of the huge benefits of this will be the increased air quality.

Isn’t this a no brainer? The only equipment that would have to live outside would be a welding table with a tarp over it.

All of the clamps, gloves, filler rod, chipping hammer, etc. would be on a cart. I would just roll out what I need.

The alternative to this is to be crammed in a jail-cell sized welding area right next to machine tools. This makes a bit of a mess what with the spatter, smoke, slag chips & shooting parks/grinding dust.

What do you guys know about 220V welding with a 30-40 foot extension cord?

I can foresee some issues with wind for GTAW. Most of what I do is SMAW, so I am not so worried about wind now. I live in the Bay Area, & the weather is temperate & mild.

I can foresee wanting shade & windscreens at some point.

Last edited:
Yes, if space is a problem, it's a good thing to do the welding outside. I bought a heavy 50 foot extension cord (220volt)
for that purpose. It's still too cold here to make use of it but it gets all the welding smoke outside which is a good thing.
I'm waiting for spring so I can do the same with a rolling welding table and relatively portable welders. TIG welding outside
might be problematic if there is a breeze outside. I weld in the shop some and it is not good for air quality in the shop
but don't have much choice with the cold weather presently. I bought my extension cord on E-Bay for about a hundred
dollars. The only down side would be having to move the equipment back and forth.

Edit: I did a bunch of welding on my wood boiler using 6011 and 7018 running at up to 120 amperes with no problem
this fall using the extension cord. By the way I saw your posts on coupons and was impressed with your stuff on
welding. I don't claim to be a good welder but at least can get the job done. It's a learning process, lots of things
to pick up on.

Last edited:
I made a 25 foot extension cord. I can't remember if I used #10 or #8. But either way my miller 210 runs off of it no issues.

There are hook up cables for RVs and the lot. 50 Amp cable with plug and socket. Check Amazon for them.

Most of my welding is outside. Stick welding is the preferred operation. I like it outside for the ventilation . Wind can be a problem for the tig,so I just wait for a calm day.

I currently have one of these yellow welding curtains. An arc, even as low as 110A, is still very bright as seen through the curtain.

I will use an opaque welding curtain or flame resistant canvas tarp because a lot of people walk by my house, and I still have that mega-crybaby neighbor.

7EED584B-2DB5-480E-9E3B-29052F39F153.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a heavy 50A extension cord with my MIG welder. Works well.

I prefer not having bright overhead light coming in from the sides or top of my helmet as is washes out the weld arc by reflecting of the inside lens. You’ll probably want a way to block that light. A rag works in a pinch.

Your table is very likely to rust if continually left outside from condensation under the tarp where the tarp actually touches the table.

Back