Oscilloscope recommendations

This may be a good interim solution. I think I fried my encoders but need to check them to see if I need to replace or not. I have a good one I can use as a baseline. I guess if I get no signal at all, they're toast.

Why not tell us about the specifics of your encoder issue? Ive had to do quite a bit of encoder work and could probably help you get to the bottom of things fast. What is the make and model of the encoder? Pics and info please

WOW, can't argue with that! Looks like everywhere else the prices are way higher. Wonder how they can offer them for that price.

I did bit more research, this scope is a discontinued item. It looks like there is one available in the one of the Texas Fry's stores.

Almost any 2 channel scope would work. Another option would be to take the encoders down to your local motor shop and have them checked out. Any shop that works on servo motors could help you out.

The details about my CNC saga can be seen here but I doubt it's worth a complete read but it does set the stage and possibly make me look less stupid than the description below. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...se-help-This-stopped-being-fun-a-few-days-ago

The mill I have has to go through a process when you first start it up to calibrate the axis. Part of that process involves running each axis (in order of Z, Y, X) to one of the limit switches. Z axis is fine and as it goes through the process I can see the value changing on the screen. When it goes to the next axis, Y, it moves but no values change on the screen and then I get a fault. Checked all the connections and everythings fine so that leads me to believe it the encoder. If you filter through the above thread you can see that my theories havn't worked out for the best with this thing. I would rather check parts before I start replacing them so that lead me to an oscilloscope.

The details about my CNC saga can be seen here but I doubt it's worth a complete read but it does set the stage and possibly make me look less stupid than the description below. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...se-help-This-stopped-being-fun-a-few-days-ago

The mill I have has to go through a process when you first start it up to calibrate the axis. Part of that process involves running each axis (in order of Z, Y, X) to one of the limit switches. Z axis is fine and as it goes through the process I can see the value changing on the screen. When it goes to the next axis, Y, it moves but no values change on the screen and then I get a fault. Checked all the connections and everythings fine so that leads me to believe it the encoder. If you filter through the above thread you can see that my theories havn't worked out for the best with this thing. I would rather check parts before I start replacing them so that lead me to an oscilloscope.

That process of homing using a switch then rotating until an index is found is pretty much the standard all VMC's use going back decades..its how my Japanese CNC mill works and how a Fadal 3016 works.

I would definitely hold off on buying the oscilloscope until further notice. You can confirm encoder output in a gross sense by setting your multimeter to the Hz/Frequency measurement and measuring the encoder pulses at a known feedrate, and calculating what the frequency should be. I assume that encoder is a +5V with quadrature output and an index.

Or you could try swapping encoders between X and Y axis and see if the problem follows the encoder.

Does your mill use servomotors with encoder feedback to close the loop? If so, its unlikely there would be any control of the Y axis if the encoder was bad. What does the fault error say?

That thread is definitely TL;DR, but I skimmed through it..I would highly recommend dropping the idea of a retrofit or changing Hurco's design. If you arent prepared to troubleshoot a problem like this, retrofitting is an order of magnitude more difficult and expensive.

So lets get down to basics, the homing problem.

I take it at this time, the machine homes on all axis correctly, except Y axis?

Questions:

Can you feed the Y axis without homing (watch out, dont hit the physical stops)?

And if so, does it move smoothly and at the selected feedrate?

The other option would be a simple logic probe from radio shack . They are as easy to use as a test light.

spaceman_spiff, you might want to look through the post referenced above. This is just another chapter in a continuing saga. The mill has run fine on some occasions, after some major troubleshooting. The latest failure seems to be an encoder issue.

Almost any 2 channel scope would work. Another option would be to take the encoders down to your local motor shop and have them checked out. Any shop that works on servo motors could help you out.

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm just a little stubborn in that regard. I've never been the guy to take my stuff somewhere to have someone else check it out or work on it. By the time I pay someone to do that I could have bought (or at least partially paid for), a new tool for me to do it myself. Not to mention the gained ability to trouble shoot it next time. I learned my first lesson in that a long time ago and never forgot it.

I'm not defeated yet Jim! :))

X2 on what Jim said. When it works, it's a great machine. Hogs through material like a beast. It took me a while and a lot of troubleshooting to get to that point but get there we did.

I believe the error says something about not detecting a marker or something like that but the more defining clue is the readout does not read movement like the Z axis does.

Until the initial cycle process is complete, no other controls work at all. Y axis is the second with Z being the first and Z cycles fine.

A retro is definitely on the radar but I'd like it to limp along until I'm ready to dive in. If possible, I'd like for it to pay for the parts to do the retro. I'm constantly passing on work while it's down. This is a side hustle and I'm a single income household with 4 kids so extra money is non-existent. If I can get a month or two of work out of it that would give me the necessary funds to buy all the parts I need for the retro.

Finally got all the encoders off and ran some basic tests.

Basically just checked the voltage coming out of each lead as I turned the shaft very slowly. Used a small 12v power supply.

Z aixs - known good
A - fluctuates between 14v and 0
B - fluctuates between 14v and 0
Z - fluctuates between 115mV and 0

Y aixs
A - fluctuates between 13.25v znd 12.5v
B - fluctuates between 12.5v and 13v
Z - fluctuates between 10.3v and 10.35v

Xaixs
Z - only get a reading of 10mV - no fluctuation

I know this is not as accurate a test as an oscilloscope would offer but I know now there is a different reading between the known good one and the others. There's definitely something fishy there. I have found a scope locally that I told I could borrow so I'm gonna make him up on that.

Finally got all the encoders off and ran some basic tests.

Basically just checked the voltage coming out of each lead as I turned the shaft very slowly. Used a small 12v power supply.

Z aixs - known good
Z - fluctuates between 115mV and 0

Y aixs
A - fluctuates between 13.25v znd 12.5v
B - fluctuates between 12.5v and 13v
Z - fluctuates between 10.3v and 10.35v

Xaixs
Z - only get a reading of 10mV - no fluctuation

I know this is not as accurate a test as an oscilloscope would offer but I know now there is a different reading between the known good one and the others. There's definitely something fishy there. I have found a scope locally that I told I could borrow so I'm gonna make him up on that.

That is actually a pretty good test. It looks like it proved that the Y axis encoder is not working.

Just a side note, if you didn't already know, the Z (sometimes labeled "I") output only pulses once per revolution, this is the Index pulse, normally only used in homing functions.

It will be interesting so see what the O-scope trace looks like.

Back