Options For High Speed Milling

So I'm curious how square it is, do you have to tram when you install it?

I haven't checked tram yet. Before I finish bored the mounting bracket bores I checked tram on my manual mill drill and bored both holes in one setup. It should be close but I will check it.

Tom S.

Nice job, I'm jealous, I actually got my router sitting out so I can make a mount. I have a Bosch colt, but you can only get 1/4" collets for it so whatever

These guys also, I bought a full set for my PC. http://elairecorp.com/routercollets.html

It looks like the Bosch Colt will only take a maximum of 8mm, you may have to get a bigger router if you want to go to 1/2 inch

Thanks for the tips, yeah I may want to go to half inch, I'm really loving my CGS Ferocious end mills and a 1/2 inch wants about 8-10k rpm for starts

So I'm curious how square it is, do you have to tram when you install it?

Today I checked the mill spindle to table and I'm within .0005" in X and Y. No complaints there. Put the indicator in the router and tram is out .0085" in X and .0105" in Y. I was expecting it to be within a couple thou of the mill spindle so I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

I have to do some checking but my guess is the OD of the router housing is not in line with the spindle. It's a stack up assembly with the bearings in housings that mount on each end of the stator so there may be an accumulation of manufacturing tolerance. Whatever the cause I need to correct it. My plan is to remove the bolt on collar and overbore the router end of the mounting bracket about .030" for clearance. Then I can drill and tap the bolt on collar for set/jack screws adjacent to each of the four bolts and use those to tram the router.

Tom S

Bummer, hope the solution works out for you.

It'll work out. I built this without any adjustment features with the thought that everything was square and true. The plan is to build in adjustability. I have a preliminary plan but need to think it through before I start modifying anything.

Tom S

It for sure has me rethinking my plans for mounting up my Colt, I'd rather not have to tram my head just to use it

It for sure has me rethinking my plans for mounting up my Colt, I'd rather not have to tram my head just to use it

I agree with you. I don't want to tram in the router every time I use it either. So I'm going to overbore the mounting bracket on the router end. Then I can shim the bolt on collar to get the tram where I want it. No different than tramming the main column which we all do from time to time.

Tom S.

I was thinking I would just tram the head in both planes,(bridgy clone) but.... that's a lot of time with the tenth indicator, plus the offset of the router would be a pita to deal with tramming

I was thinking I would just tram the head in both planes,(bridgy clone) but.... that's a lot of time with the tenth indicator, plus the offset of the router would be a pita to deal with tramming

Tramming the router is a one time task, unless I crash it. I'm willing to spend the time now and get it out of the way so when I need to do precise work I'm ready to go. It's just the nature of the beast so to speak.

Tom S.

Back