Opinions on purchasing a Grizzly G0750

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My son already had a 7x16 mini lathe and wants to add to the shop. For his next purchase in a lathe he has his eyes set on a Grizzly G0750. Any opinions of this machine would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Overall: I know a couple of accomplished professional machinists who use Grizzly lathes and are happy with them. As to specific model.....depends on your son's projected use.

We make custom laser parts part time and he wants to expand. Some parts are getting bigger and the mini lathe doesn't cut it anymore. It does the job but we are pushing it. He wants to get something he can do all his future work with and hobbying. He wants a lathe that will do a lot and he won't have to turn around in a few years and buy another. He likes the independent lead screw for threading. For now I will be making the parts till he finishes college and I am always into a new toy but it's his money. :rolleyes:

Ed

I think the Griz would be fine but you might also look at the PM1236 from there in PA. I recently bought one and am pleased with it. It replaces a Griz G0602 which I also like but there is a world of difference. Also I find Matt to be very interested in customer support which is also very important. Sometimes I have had to threaten to contact Shiraz to get Griz CS to respond. Both machines will be a great improvement.

Bob

Note too that it comes with lots of goodies....chucks, QCTP etc

My son already had a 7x16 mini lathe and wants to add to the shop. For his next purchase in a lathe he has his eyes set on a Grizzly G0750. Any opinions of this machine would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ed

I have the Grizzly G4003G and I'm very happy with it. The G0750 is the same machine except it has a totally enclosed QC transmission vs the traditional QC transmission on the G4003G. The up side is that the G0750 should be quieter than the G4003G ( I don't find my G4003G too noisy but my hearing is not that great), the down side is that the threading range of the G0750 tops out at 56 TPI vs the much larger threading range of the G4003G which is 4-112 TPI. I think you'll be happy with either one as they're very rigid and finishes are much better than with smaller, more flexible machines.
Ed P

The issue of a lathe only doing 54 vs 112 or 200 TPI comes up a lot. I think it's a bogus parameter to compare lathes.

The challenges of making anything finer than 54 TPI would prevent any sane person from attempting this on a benchtop machine. The spacing of threads at 112 or 200 TPI is approaching the resolution of the pixels on your computer monitor. Most PDF files have a resolution of 72 Dots Per Inch and I don't think it's possible to cut threads at 112 or 200 TPI in a homeshop. At 112 TPI, you will need to use a sewing needle as a cutting bit -and most chucks cannot hold a piece of 18 ga wire.

I have the Grizzly G4003G and I'm very happy with it. The G0750 is the same machine except it has a totally enclosed QC transmission vs the traditional QC transmission on the G4003G. The up side is that the G0750 should be quieter than the G4003G ( I don't find my G4003G too noisy but my hearing is not that great), the down side is that the threading range of the G0750 tops out at 56 TPI vs the much larger threading range of the G4003G which is 4-112 TPI. I think you'll be happy with either one as they're very rigid and finishes are much better than with smaller, more flexible machines.
Ed P

I have to go +1 with Ray's point on the thread range. I run into some weird thread pitches and sizes like the other day when I had to make a 12-40 8" long stock bolt. I can't even think of an application for a 54 TPI or finer screw. Also I wouldn't get hung up on comparing exact spindle speeds as well as most seem to be a guestimate anyway. People that have checked them get much different speeds than listed on the machine. I would think the age of the machine, size and weight of the work, or even the viscosity of the oil are big factors.
More info:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10891-New-Model-Grizzly-G0750G-Gunsmith-Lathe

:whiteflag:Opinion alert: To add something about the Grizzly gunsmith lathes. I really think that most of the options that make them "gunsmith lathes" really is just for sales. The arguable exception being the roller steady rest, but it also has limits in some cases so it helps to have both types of tips anyway.

There's only three "significant" differences. One is 4" longer than the other. The 36" unit has a max spindle speed of 1500 and the other was 2000. One is 1100lbs, the other is roughly 1340lbs. The extra mass is nice sometimes...

For benchtop lathes of this sort (and for what they're generally used for) 1500 RPMs as the top speed is fine. BTW: These units are carbon copies of the Precision Matthews 1236 and 1440.

Ray

I let my son know I was getting input on the G0750 and he wanted to know if you guys could give input on the comparison of the G0709. http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-X-40-Gunsmith-s-Gearhead-Lathe/G0709 and the original one he asked about the G0750. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-36-Gunsmithing-Lathe/G0750G

Thanks again for all the input.
Ed

Back