Ontario guys

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Where do you get your way oil? With the mill showing up tomorrow, I've stocked up on WD-40 and shop towels for the clean up, but I haven't anything for way oil. I have been using non detergent 30 weight on my lathe and I don't care for it. I have to clean it off every so often cause it gums up.

Hi Shawn,

ISO-46 was recommended to me by Cincinnati.
I buy buckets of tractor hydraulic oil from the local Tractor Supply.
I can usually get it on sale for ~$50 for a 19L bucket.
http://www.tscstores.com/Valvoline-AW-Hydraulic-Oil-ISO-46-19L-P29527.aspx

I use it for everything on my old mill; drip oilers to all the bearings, all the "gits" oilers, and on the ways and gears.

I have never seen it leave a residue.

-brino

I use Mobile Vactra #2 way oil. I buy it in gallon jugs. A gallon lasts a LONG time. Don't know the best Canuck source.

If I recall correctly, I ordered Way and Spindle oil from KBC Tools for my lathe about 5 years ago. Bought a gallon of each and with casual use, still have lots left.

Hydraulic oil is not way oil. It is meant for anti-wear and anti-rust. It does not cling as well as way oil, and also runs off vertical surfaces more. Way oil is also made for low stick-slip. I am a cheap guy, but I do not cheap out on way oil. It might cost me $5/year, max.

I was buying it from Enco, before they were absorbed by their corporate owner, MSC. Most of the full service machine tool dealers have it.

Huk ;)

I'm a contractor, we have a 4 ton dual axle dump trailer which my truck easily pulls. It has swing gate doors on the back with pretty heavy duty ramps underneath. Which we easily drive 2000lbs Bobcat up. The seller has a forklift to get it loaded, then on my end I'll tilt the trailer up a bit to give the ramps and bed a better plane and come along the mill off into my garage. The column mill will bottom heavy as opposed to the turret/knee mill.

Back