One ASOME Saturday

Nice machines! That "tailgate" crane really caught my eye. I'd like to see a few more details, like what are you using to tilt the boom and where/what is it attached to?

We call them gin pole trucks here in the oilfield, and there are lots of home made ones.....some factory built. Some with multi-ton capacity. I have built a couple....I wish I had one once in a while.

Glad you made it home all in the right number of pieces, Jake.

So Jake- I bet the front of that truck came up pretty well when you started lifting that shaper! It weighs 1500 pounds!

Yours looks very much like mine- except the drive area outside the bull gear is smaller (does it have a backgear?), and I see that the bottom of the motor /reeves drive enclosure on the bottom, has no bottom! Mine is totally sealed down there.

It's a beast isn't it? I am calling it the biggest little shaper I have ever seen- unless i am missing something, the next size shapers jump to 14 inch floor models that weigh twice as much and are one or two feet longer.

This shaper is the perfect size for my shop- as big as I can fit! Any bigger and no way.
Technically, I think it is a NOT a floor model, unlike the larger shapers. The vertical table screw does not reach the ground- the motor and variable speed are neatly contained below. It's sort of like an under-drive table unit with it's own stand.

Bernie

I put a block of wood under the back bumper. The Sheldon is the heavyest thing i have picked up. Yes mine has a backgear, I also noticed mine has a rod to activate the rachet, and yours has a tierod link.
Jake Parker

Oh yes the table feed that's right..

Hah hah I bet you had to put a block! It probably pushed that bed straight down! if I was local to you I would have come by to help you- or at least watch and make scared sound effects while you worked ! Ha hah hah! Just what you would need huh?

I wish I had a setup like that- I think it is less nerve racking than keeping it on the ground and pushing, as much as that seems illogical.

Bernie

Since I built the poles on the back of that truck, that has been the most used 'tool" by far. The truck is street legal and insured , and the poles are able to fold foward onto the headach rack, so I have been commissioned to do some lifting jobs in the past. I lifted the back of a 12x8 fully loaded storage building once so the owner could back a trailer under it.
I still dont think it was as heavy as the sheldon
Jake Parker

Jake, Nice bunch of new toys! Looks like your shop is filling quickly. My bandsaw looks just like yours. Does yours tilt vertical and have a support leg that slides out of the upper tube?

Back
Top Bottom