One ASOME Saturday

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
I waited to share this as long as I could because I didnt want to steal any of Bernies thunder.
A week and a half ago I did a craigslist search for a shaper. The only hit was 2 hours away, but had a negotiable price. I had the seller send me some pictures over the next 2 days, and he told me the machines story.
I thought about it over the Easter weekend. I decided that I just couldent aford it. Then my wife supprised me with a late birthday present. Uncle Sam deposeted our tax refund so I now had the finances.:thumbup:
I called the seller and aranged a pickup time for Saturday morning. My dad offered his help and his truck.
We had a good time on our roadtrip to pick up the exact same shaper as Bernie has bought, a 13" Sheldon.
View attachment 75569
View attachment 75570

But wait, theres more. Thursday Tony Wells calls me out of the blue and offers me a shop built bandsaw. He had accumulated to many and was thining out his inventory. So it was planed after we unloaded the shaper me and my dad would go and get the bandsaw.
View attachment 75571
View attachment 75572
It was built as a high school shop project in 97. Im waiting to check both of them out as soon as possible.
But wait theres still more. Many of you know I have been building a shop "out of pocket". Unfortunantly progress came to a halt when some family member needed a place to stay 6 months ago. The extra financial burden put my shop project on hold. (They moved out a month ago after becoming financialy fit)
The K&T mill and the Monarch have been sitting under heavy tarps waiting on the shop to be built. The K& T was still sitting on my trailer.
My wife also gave me the go ahead on finishing the shop. Next week the framing will be completed. I have my dad and a close friend coming to help on the tin. Then I can contact the electric co and see about getting some 3 pz hooked up.
Im smiling so big right now my face hurts!
After my dad went home I started moving the K&T. I got it off the trailer and within 4' of its final resting point.
View attachment 75573
:D:D:D:D
Jake Parker

uploadfromtaptalk1398589236178.jpg

Awesome ! you might check out vfd's after the electric man shoots you a bid.

Sweet deal all around man. I cant see but one pic. But I get the picture. ahaha

Good for you Jake! Sounds like nice additions for your new shop. (pics not working for me)

I will have to stop by and check it all in person sometime.

David

Fantastic Jake!

There is plenty of thunder for everybody here! Hah hah- but I am thrilled to have another Sheldon Shaper owner starting out at the same time as me here... We can surely help each other get started..

Sometimes the progress on our shops comes in big windfalls, but your Saturday sounds like it was something else!

I am dying to see that shop made bandsaw from Tony, and your Sheldon! Only problem is the first four pics aren't coming up... Repost! Repost! And I would also love to see the Monarch and K&T... Pics pics! Hah hah...

Very cool of you to help out your family member. But I am sure glad they are no longer slowing your shop progress! I'll be watching for updates on your shop!

Speaking if which, I know you mentioned easy machine moves into your shop because you don't have all the walls up yet- how did moving the Sheldon go? You mentioned a forklift loading at the pickup site, into your Dad's pickup, and a derrick at home to lift it out. I am now thinking that is a heavy machine, and a high position (back of pickup) to use a derrick- it must be a tall derrick?

I have had to store machines outdoors temporarily, and found that a moving blanket under the tarp, and **a light bulb lit inside** kept it dry and rust free through rough, humid, variable temperatures. Either way throw the light bulb under there!

A three phase hookup would be pretty awesome, but as has been mentioned, you may notice a benefit to a few VFD's hooked up to be way cheaper in the long run! Even the short run! Plus, the variable speed at the touch of a dial and soft starts are all sweet options too...

When you get a chance, more pics pics pics! And we'll have to communicate about some Sheldon info!

Bernie

Im having trouble uploading pictures on my "smart phone". Please be patient. I will get them asap!

Jake Parker

I hope the pictures came through that time. When I get everything in place I think I might do a youtube video tour. If anyones interested.

Jake Parker

Nice score. Thats a nice shop built saw I would say. It's also nice to see a ford do something ahahahahaha

Back